Thread: Gift Trays

Blog Entries

Gift Trays

We needed some gifts for two friends and a niece, so my wife had the idea to make some trays similar to ones I had made in the past. I had some small pieces of cherry and some boards I was given that had powder post beetle tunnels. The tunnels didn't appear to be very deep and there weren't a lot of them. The wood was given to me and had been stored in our small pole barn for several years. Yes the beetles were all long gone before it came to my house.

Since I needed to make three and I needed to resaw some of the cherry for the tray bottoms I ended up making four trays all alike. It isn't a great deal of extra work making four since the set ups are already figured out. Three of the four are shown below. The fourth has already been given away.
    IMG_8223.jpg
    They appear darker in the photo than they are in person. The corner joints are locking rabbet joints. The finish is sprayed polyurethane.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Really nice Lee, thanks for sharing! This is also good inspiration for using up scrap materials as trays of this nature are always useful and worth having/giving to others.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)