Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer hook up

When I had my boat (& yes - the old saying about the two happiest days in a boat owner's life - 1. when he buys it 2. when he sells it - - is 100% true!) Getting it lined up wasn't the issue, having the lights work was always the problem!
    Even when I hooked them up on Friday night so I could hit the water early, the stupid things wouldn't work in the morning.

I do not miss that one tiny bit.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Every boat trailer I ever had anything to do with used the hitch for ground. That was often aggravating. Also, they used copper coated steel wire that rusted and became a poor conductor. Every time I ever bought a boat trailer I redid the wiring while everything was still clean. I used tin coated copper marine wire, soldered all the connections, and ran a dedicated ground wire. I never had any trouble with any that I did like that.

I never had a problem hooking up my trailers. been doing fine without camera or other things just my mirrors. doing it this way since 1965

My dumptruck has a pintle style hitch. For those unfamiliar they are a ring and a hook that closes to form a ring. One side has to swivel for going over uneven ground. There is no seeing the hitch and with just side view mirrors there's no easy tricks for it. On top of it the ring on the trailer swivels so unless you are within a 1/2" in any direction it'll just spin. It's a 11 ton trailer so you can't just move it. The best I could do was park it on the dirt, get close, then make a line in the dirt to make adjustments to as I pulled forward and backed up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    My dumptruck has a pintle style hitch. For those unfamiliar they are a ring and a hook that closes to form a ring. One side has to swivel for going over uneven ground. There is no seeing the hitch and with just side view mirrors there's no easy tricks for it. On top of it the ring on the trailer swivels so unless you are within a 1/2" in any direction it'll just spin. It's a 11 ton trailer so you can't just move it. The best I could do was park it on the dirt, get close, then make a line in the dirt to make adjustments to as I pulled forward and backed up again.
    I pull equipment trailers with pintle hitch all the time sill no problem.

16 foot car trailer back up close then lift the trailer tongue and put it over the ball and lower. You can also drop the tailgate and have very good vision to be lined up straight just dont run it into the handle post.

P1250242B.jpg

Would one of those big convex mirrors help or just be distorted and backwards.
    Bill D

John you are pretty skilled at making things. Get one of the "blanks" for a skid steer and build a trailer mover. Most what I see online are a receiver mount but I'm sure it wouldn't be to difficult to design a mount for goose neck mounts that also slipped into the receiver tube.

https://www.skidsteerattachmentdepot...-quick-attach/

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    John you are pretty skilled at making things. Get one of the "blanks" for a skid steer and build a trailer mover. Most what I see online are a receiver mount but I'm sure it wouldn't be to difficult to design a mount for goose neck mounts that also slipped into the receiver tube.

https://www.skidsteerattachmentdepot...-quick-attach/
    I've thought about buying a couple of those plates to build things, such as a landscape "scoop" to dig up and move a fair-sized plant. I'd also like to make one with a 3pt hitch mount so I can attach lots of things, for example the auger and the hydraulic fence post driver. They sell the plates at the local Bobcat place. My tractor uses the same connection on the FEL so I already share forks and such.