Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I open clogged paint can nozzles?

I've tried a bunch of brands and Rustoleum (sp?) seems to clog the most, even when dutifully inverted and cleaned. I only buy for what I need and tend to use a brush and can for small applications.
    Regards,

Tom

I believe, with no real science to support the belief, that cheaper paints have fewer solids and thus less clogging. IOW, good high solids and pigment content causes clogs. Along wit better paints seem to have faster drying solvents . I’m in the store all of them in lacquer thinner camp to.

And shake stuff out of them every time before use. I have some Rustoleum that is over 30 years old and still good. But it takes 15 minute of hand shaking or some mechanical assistance. To get it to spray.

Thanks a lot, folks. I have a few things to try from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    I believe, with no real science to support the belief, that cheaper paints have fewer solids and thus less clogging. IOW, good high solids and pigment content causes clogs. Along wit better paints seem to have faster drying solvents . I’m in the store all of them in lacquer thinner camp to.

And shake stuff out of them every time before use. I have some Rustoleum that is over 30 years old and still good. But it takes 15 minute of hand shaking or some mechanical assistance. To get it to spray.
    Having spent close to 25 years in the paint industry - I can tell you your right on target (no pun intended) about the solids.
    Better than immersion in lacquer thinner is to store them in an airtight jar, with a small amount of thinner in the bottom and some sort of platform to put the tips on so they are in the vapors of the solvent and not the solvent itself.
    Also - rattle cans should never be shaken on a machine. That's too violent of an action for them. They have a tube inside the can that goes from the nozzle down to the bottom. If you shake them on a machine it can detach that tube.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have a bunch of replacement nozzles that I bought on eBay. If my nozzles goes bad, I just replace it.

Blog Entries
    I save the rattles for slingshot amo. Occasionally I find a pretty one.

IMG_0648.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I save the rattles for slingshot amo. Occasionally I find a pretty one.

IMG_0648.jpg
    Are the ones that look like marbles actually from rattle cans?

Most of the ones from my rattle cans look like a ball made of plastic.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    1 or 2 of the smallest steel balls are bicycle ball bearings. Other than that these are all from spray paint cans. My supply is quite low right now because 2 does have had twin fawns in our back yard. I have been giving them gentle pops in the hindquarters to discourage then from devouring the garden. It's not working.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    1 or 2 of the smallest steel balls are bicycle ball bearings. Other than that these are all from spray paint cans. My supply is quite low right now because 2 does have had twin fawns in our back yard. I have been giving them gentle pops in the hindquarters to discourage then from devouring the garden. It's not working.
    The ways I know of to keep deer out of the garden is consist of tall fences, coverings or venison for dinner, a lot of venison.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The ways I know of to keep deer out of the garden is consist of tall fences, coverings or venison for dinner, a lot of venison.

jtk
    I am working on upgrading the fence and have added an electric top wire. The deer learned right away that it won't shock them while they are airborne. I on the other hand can't seem to learn to turn off the fence before working in the garden. Backing into the hot wire while holding the tiller with both hands should be a learning experience.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    My recollection is a fence needs to be at least 8' tall to discourage a deer. I've seen one jump between wires that were about a foot apart.

jtk

Blog Entries
    It is probably time to start a new thread regarding Urban Deer Bandits. A deer fence in the back yard is something I really do not want to look at every day.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SjOZk_6yQTc?feature=share
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 08-31-2022 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Fawns
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I've never done it myself - but - I've seen videos of it.

Wow! is right!
    Not quite Tannerite, but still pretty dang fun