Thread: Best beginner spray setup

Best beginner spray setup

Hi guys, I'm building some interior shutters for a nursery, and want to try my hand at a spray finish (latex paint). I've never sprayed a finish before.

I bought a $99 Husky HVLP gun set to go along with my 2 gallon, 1.7 CFM Kobalt compressor that I normally just use for nailing trim. But I just learned that I need a higher CFM compressor for the job. So I'm considering my options. I'm happy to save money here, but don't want to go so cheap that I ruin my pieces. Looking for a good balance of quality and price.

Should I get a compressor with a big tank? Should I get a dedicated HVLP machine? I don't really have room in my shop for a large compressor, so I'm leaning HVLP machine...but again, I'm a novice here.

Thanks! I've searched through past threads, but the amount of advice in there is overwhelming, and I'm hoping for a simple answer.

The simplest answer is to get an Earlex HVLP turbine unit. Most bang for the $'s and guaranteed to work.

Interesting that you bought that Husky gun, since it says not suitable for latex paint yet that's what you want to spray. I'd return it.

And now about paint. You don't want to try spraying latex wall paint. It's not designed to spray well with an HVLP gun. You need an airless rig for that stuff. What you want is waterborne trim enamel, or pigmented lacquer. Many times those products will require some thinning in order to spray well through an HVLP gun, but they will indeed spray well.

Having told you to buy an Earlex, and it's still the simplest approach, I use a Qualspray HVLP conversion gun with a fairly large compressor. Your comment about it being sort of overwhelming to decide what's best, even what will work, rings true as I had much the same feelings when I looked into spraying. But it's all pretty simple. You buy a gun that fits what you want to spray, or several if the product range you want to spray is broad, and then you buy a compressor that can handle the gun that needs the most airflow. For me that ended up being a compressor that has an output of about 10 cfm and it sits on a 60 gal tank.

I'm not sure how many needle/nozzle sets come with the Earlex, but you will want at least 2, a smaller one around 1 - 1.3 mm for spraying clearcoats, and a larger one around 1.8 - 2.0 mm for spraying paints.

John

There is no such thing as a beginner spray setup. The higher end of any kind of spray system you get, the easier it is to do a good job with it. Pros don't use pro equipment because it will give a better finish quality, but requires more skill to operate. Their pro equipment is easier to get a better finish with for anyone. Some outfits sold as a spray setup are simply cheap, and impossible to get a good finish off the gun, but you can spray stuff out the end of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    There is no such thing as a beginner spray setup. The higher end of any kind of spray system you get, the easier it is to do a good job with it. Pros don't use pro equipment because it will give a better finish quality, but requires more skill to operate. Their pro equipment is easier to get a better finish with for anyone. Some outfits sold as a spray setup are simply cheap, and impossible to get a good finish off the gun, but you can spray stuff out the end of them.
    True, but the $20 purple Harbor Freight gun sprays beautifully, too. Cheap guns spray really well, not quite as well as more expensive ones, but really well. They just don't last nearly as long because the materials aren't quite as good, especially the seals.

Too many people shy away from learning to spray because they think they have to buy expensive equipment. You don't. Buy what you can afford and learn to spray. You can step up to better equipment when funds permit it, or not if you spray only occasionally.

John

I now have a couple of those harbor freight guns. They don't do great with latex, but you can thin it a little with some water OK.

I did end up buying another, at $10, why not, and drilled out the tip.

They do great work if all you are used to is a rattle can, brush or roller.

Blog Entries
    Wagner power painter? I have working one that I will give away.

There are several threads from a few months ago that talk about spraying Latex in detail.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 08-17-2022 at 8:26 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thanks everyone. Since I don't have space in my garage for a 30 gallon compressor, and will benefit from having a more portable setup anyway, getting the Earlex or similar sounds like the best option.

I have an Earlex 5000. I have sprayed latex paint with it. It worked. Did it work well? I guess that depends on what your definition of "well" is. I'm pretty sure the Earlex 5xxx series has two wheels, I don't see their pressure rating. Their 6003 sprayport system has 3 wheels and develops 5.5.psi. I'm certain that John is correct, lacquers and enamels intended for spraying are much better choices than latex. When I sprayed latex for somebody who just wanted a utility piece white and wasn't fussy, I diluted their wall paint about 10% with distilled water. That made it thin enough that the Earlex would do a reasonable job. The Earlex cup is pressurized which I suspect helps with thicker materials. I don't know about other guns but the Earlex (only one I've used) is really easy to disassemble and clean.

What surprised me most about spraying with the Earlex was its lack of overspray. Given the amount of air coming out of that thing I expected overspray everywhere. There was virtually none. One thing you do want to be aware of with Earlex or any bleeder style gun. Bleeder means there is always air coming out of the gun, even when the trigger is not pulled. If you're spraying in a dusty area it's wise to be careful where you point the gun.

Edit: It looks like Amazon and Earlex are both out of stock. It may take a bit of looking.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-17-2022 at 9:20 AM.

The Fuji Semi-pro is also a great HVLP set up. Better hose and gun than the Earlex 5 series.

I think an HVLP will be a little easier to start out with than a compressor based system. It's less complicated.

For interior shutters, consider buying a tinted lacquer. Target Products makes EM6500 which can be tinted in "any color from Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore". I've used it and it sprays beautifully from an hvlp. It is thinner and dries quicker than latex. You'll get professional results with something like this.

I started out with the cheapest of HVLPs (Harbor Freight, Rockler and Woodcraft (used to?) offer the same unit for $100). I then upgraded to a Fuji Semi Pro 2, and now have a Mighty Mite 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cooper2 View Post
    I now have a couple of those harbor freight guns. They don't do great with latex, but you can thin it a little with some water OK.

I did end up buying another, at $10, why not, and drilled out the tip.

They do great work if all you are used to is a rattle can, brush or roller.
    Of course not, Steve. The needle on the purple HF is something like 1.4 mm, and it's a gravity gun. No way it will spray latex wall paint well, even with substantial thinning. The viscosity of latex wall paint is 300 - 500 seconds #4 Ford cup. The gun has to be capable of spraying the intended product. If you put something with a viscosity of about 50 seconds in that gun, however, it sprays great.

This thread made me curious about Earlex sprayers, I thought Amazon and Earlex showing out of stock unusual. I found this, price is very attractive - $279.99. Some vendors offer 2 needles 1.5 mm and 2.0 mm. I don't know if this one does and I have no idea about shipping costs.

https://www.thepaintstore.com/Earlex...0-p/hv5500.htm
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-18-2022 at 9:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The Fuji Semi-pro is also a great HVLP set up. Better hose and gun than the Earlex 5 series.

I think an HVLP will be a little easier to start out with than a compressor based system. It's less complicated.

For interior shutters, consider buying a tinted lacquer. Target Products makes EM6500 which can be tinted in "any color from Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore". I've used it and it sprays beautifully from an hvlp. It is thinner and dries quicker than latex. You'll get professional results with something like this.

I started out with the cheapest of HVLPs (Harbor Freight, Rockler and Woodcraft (used to?) offer the same unit for $100). I then upgraded to a Fuji Semi Pro 2, and now have a Mighty Mite 4.

There's really nothing complicated about a HVLP conversion gun and compressor. You buy the gun you need that will spray what you want and then you buy a compressor that will deliver the necessary amount of CFM needed by the gun. Pretty simple. OK, yes, you have to buy a hose and maybe a filter, too, something not required for a packaged turbine unit, but it's not rocket science.

A packaged turbine unit offers portability but lacks the flexibility of a compressor driven unit. Once you have a compressor you can use any gun you want up to its cfm capability. You can change the air pressure on a conversion gun, something not possible with a turbine. If you have a pressure assisted gun, like one I have, you can independently adjust the pressure to the gun and cup. A turbine supplies the same pressure to both and is not adjustable. You can use a really long hose, when needed. And the air is cool, not warm, which reduces the need for Extender, et al to prevent premature drying of the finish.

John

Jeff Jewitt suggests that the finest finishes are achieved using a compressor based system. I too believe the hvlp systems offer less control. It's the reason I almost switched before I bought my Mini-Mite4.

In the end, I needed portability and storage more than performance and control at the margin. It's worked fine - not perfectly - but fine for finishing furniture and instruments for me.

The air pressure adjustment John mentions is definitely something I miss sometimes. You can throttle the air valve at the gun end of the hose on a turbine unit, but there is no gauge and it's really too rough a way to do it. Too much air and there's blow back. Too little and there's not enough atomization. So, I tend to leave it at a certain spot. This affects the ability to do some delicate work.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-18-2022 at 8:32 PM.

FWIW, if you're REALLY patient you can probably use your old compressor. But you'll be running it really ragged and waiting for it to refill the tank quite a bit. Bit like breaking out of prison with a spoon for a shovel.

Personally I bought one of these, and used it with my Home Depot husky gun. Does everything I want, without being a huge, expensive 60 gallon monster. Bonus: I can use other air tools like sanders, die grinders, brad nailers, and staplers. Mostly though I just use it with a air gun to brush off sawdust.

https://www.californiaairtools.com/u...rs/cat-15020c/