Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Source for gouges?

  1. #1

    Source for gouges?

    I'm looking to build a set of quality gouges for carving wood bowls. The manufacturers most recommended seem to be Ashley Isles, Dastra, Auriou, etc. I'm having a hard time finding a source for them. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Posts
    28,032
    Steve,

    https://toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...IL-ALLCARVE.XX, https://diefenbacher.com/dastra-woodworking-tools/, and finally scroll down to the bottom of this page for the link to three US sellers of Auriou https://www.woodcarvingworkshops.tv/...-carving-tools .
    Ken

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Steve,

    https://toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...IL-ALLCARVE.XX, https://diefenbacher.com/dastra-woodworking-tools/, and finally scroll down to the bottom of this page for the link to three US sellers of Auriou https://www.woodcarvingworkshops.tv/...-carving-tools .
    Thanks Ken! I was able to locate and purchase most of what I wanted from Craftsman Studio and Tools for Working Wood except for the bent and spoon gouges. Hans Karlsson has some nice stuff but most if not all are out of stock and with a long wait list. What's new these days!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,307
    I bought a craving knife from this craftsman. Very good quality. I sorta remember he had some hook knives for bowls.
    https://deepwoodsventures.com/49-knives
    Good Luck
    Aj

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I bought a craving knife from this craftsman. Very good quality. I sorta remember he had some hook knives for bowls.
    https://deepwoodsventures.com/49-knives
    Good Luck
    I have some hook knives that are used carve spoons. Never thought of using them for bowls. Seems like they would be slow going though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I'm looking to build a set of quality gouges for carving wood bowls. The manufacturers most recommended seem to be Ashley Isles, Dastra, Auriou, etc. I'm having a hard time finding a source for them. Any suggestions?
    https://www.chippingaway.com/cat/han...ze-spoon-bent/
    .... Dave

    Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

  7. #7
    I have examples of most of the brands mentioned and have sourced mine from different places. Mot all dealers will carry all of the offerings from the different manufacturers. I seem to remember that Highland Woodworking carries Auriou, Ashley Iles used to sell directly to the public from their factory in England before Covid. I also have some Schaaf carving tools which are very good and are insanely inexpensive for the quality if 20mm or smaller tools would work for you. There are other quality brands and it is just a matter of doing an internet search for them. Just stay away from those "super cheap" sets you find online and you will probably be OK. Just don't assume that the higher priced tools will automatically give you superior tools. Have fun.

  8. #8
    Peter Follansbee spoke highly of Nick Westermann’s bowl gouge. Looks like they are still for sale . From UK. Unhandled.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •