Thread: Windsor volute carving pattern

Windsor volute carving pattern

When I started building Windsor chairs in early 2020 my first one was a comb back. Some of you may recall that I posted pics here.

Since the first one, I have built 12 Windsors of various styles, including another comb back like the first one and more recently a comb back rocker. Each of those had a carved crest identical to the first comb back.

I have some left over oak I am going to use to build another comb back that is more Massachusetts style rather than the Philadelphia style I built previously. In carving the crest volutes it occurred to me how stupid it is each time to muddle through the various carving gouges getting ones that are the proper sweep. So this time I made notations on the pattern of the ones I use and I thought it might be worthwhile to post it here. I don't really know if anyone has an interest, but here it is along with a pic of a couple of crests - one carved and one in the rough. I didn't note the gouges I use to carve out the waste, but I try to use the larger ones as much as possible to get a smoother surface in the volute.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    I will tell my Instrument maker friend to take a look at your post. Looks a lot like a Violin, Cello, or Bass scroll.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Maurice, the volute scroll design is pretty common and shows up in many applications. I am sure it is similar to the scrolls on your friend’s instruments. But, the gouge sweeps I used would only be applicable in carving this particular volute and with the same dimensions.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Love high-volutin’ stuff . Guess I picked it up from watch in’ Gabby Hayes !