Thread: 103.6 pounds of hand planes

103.6 pounds of hand planes

Getting ready to move my Stanley/Bailey collection to my den. Every time I move these things I'm surprised at the weight. So resolved my curiosity today. 23 planes equals 103.6 pounds. Full set of smooth and corrugated bench planes from #1 to #8. Two little additions of the Lie-Nielsen #1 and the limited edition Woodcraft #1 made by Lie-Nielsen. Started collecting around 1980.
    IMG_2464.jpg

Nice collection! Is this a contest? All mine are in waterproof toolboxes. I'd have to weigh all the toolboxes, and then weigh an empty toolbox, otherwise it would be too much work to weigh just the planes.

Blog Entries
    Never thought about weighing mine. They are all users. No room in the den.

When curiosity about the weight strikes, they are looked up on Patrick's Blood & Gore.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Getting ready to move my Stanley/Bailey collection to my den. Every time I move these things I'm surprised at the weight. So resolved my curiosity today. 23 planes equals 103.6 pounds. Full set of smooth and corrugated bench planes from #1 to #8. Two little additions of the Lie-Nielsen #1 and the limited edition Woodcraft #1 made by Lie-Nielsen. Started collecting around 1980.
    Neat collection. Can you tell us any more about the Woodcraft #1 made by LN? I've never heard of that. (I have the Wood River version made in China.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Neat collection. Can you tell us any more about the Woodcraft #1 made by LN? I've never heard of that. (I have the Wood River version made in China.)
    It was a commemorative run of 500 planes to celebrate the 75th Woodcraft anniversary. It's similar to LN standard #1 except done in white bronze and has Woodcraft 75th etched in the cap iron. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...sary-515099068

Thanks Richard!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Is your workshop taking over the den or are you just putting your plane collection on display? Either way I like it. Let’s see some pictures when you have it set up.

I used some hand tools for “decor” once. I was working on a PhD in Atlanta while Janicewhokeepsmehumble was keeping the home fires burning in Oak Ridge. I had an apartment in Atlanta and used some of my nice looking tools and a Studley tool chest print over the sofa.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 08-18-2022 at 9:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Is your workshop taking over the den or are you just putting your plane collection on display? Either way I like it. Let’s see some pictures when you have it set up.

I used some hand tools for “decor” once. I was working on a PhD in Atlanta while Janicewhokeepsmehumble was keeping the home fires burning in Oak Ridge. I had an apartment in Atlanta and used some of my nice looking tools and a Studley tool chest print over the sofa.
    Just a new stage in life. I want to enjoy memories of the treasure hunting and the beauty of fine tools more often. I've been woodworking for nearly 50 years now, but find I enjoy being outside more than ever. I had 30 years of working corporate where I had to walk to look outside and my basement shop has no windows. I always thought I would run more of a small business when I retired, but the sun and activities drew me outside. I've sold work as a second job for 25 years as well as being a professional woodworker for 24 years. That's more than 50 years together, but I joined an artist group when at the corporate job and sold artistic woodturning. I ride electric assist bicycles and have ridden more than 15,000 miles since May 2016. Two years ago I started gardening, a bit of nostalgia towards my early life on the farm I guess. Lastly, I've also been feeling my mortality a bit this year. I turn 70 next month, so not a bad idea to get some things more organized for our 2 adult children. Thanks for asking Thomas.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 08-18-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Just a new stage in life. I want to enjoy memories of the treasure hunting and the beauty of fine tools more often. I've been woodworking for nearly 50 years now, but find I enjoy being outside more than ever. I had 30 years of working corporate where I had to walk to look outside and my basement shop has no windows. I always thought I would run more of a small business when I retired, but the sun and activities drew me outside. I've sold work as a second job for 25 years as well as being a professional woodworker for 24 years. That's more than 50 years together, but I joined an artist group when at the corporate job and sold artistic woodturning. I ride electric assist bicycles and have ridden more than 15,000 miles since May 2016. Two years ago I started gardening, a bit of nostalgia towards my early life on the farm I guess. Lastly, I've also been feeling my mortality a bit this year. I turn 70 next month, so not a bad idea to get some things more organized for our 2 adult children. Thanks for asking Thomas.
    Woodturning can be addictive I hear. So can restoring old planes. Glad you made out alive. I have been woodworking just as long as you but less seriously, never professionally. I turned 70 earlier this year and started woodworking in my father’s shop in high school. It was not much of a shop. I am doing a lot more now that I have a real shop.

I used to be an engineer. We used say that in engineering when a job got behind, which they always did, you could add more resources, back off on the schedule, or flog the engineers. Mostly they chose the last one. Nowadays, I am enjoying being my own boss. I am a pretty lenient boss.

Have a great day, Richard!
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 08-18-2022 at 1:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Woodturning can be addictive I hear. So can restoring old planes. Glad you made out alive. I have been woodworking just as long as you but less seriously, never professionally. I turned 70 earlier this year and started woodworking in my father’s shop in high school. It was not much of a shop. I am doing a lot more now that I have a real shop.

I used to be an engineer. We used say that in engineering when a job got behind, which they always did, you could add more resources, back off on the schedule, or flog the engineers. Mostly they chose the last one. Nowadays, I am enjoying being my own boss. I am a pretty lenient boss.

Have a great day, Richard!
    We had a very similar path. I worked for 15 years in engineering at Caterpillar, took a 11 year sabbatical to run my own business and then a short 3 year stink at Woodworker's Journal, but went back to the Industrial Design Division at Caterpillar after the magazine was sold to Rockler. I joked at my retirement day, it only took me 41 years to get 30, and only 3 moves from weekly payroll into management. Truth was, 15 years was the most I could tolerate at a time. LOL Most fortunately, my seniority continued when I hired back in. Flogging was the reason I retired. I was a modelmaker the final stint. A group of young college grad engineers would bring me into a meeting, show me some renderings of a new cab, and in the meeting ask me how long it would take and how much would it cost to build a mock-up. I'd only just looked at the rendering!!!! It became a joke to me and my assistant. Every job became, "5 weeks and $85,000". No matter the scope of the project. The last irritation was the "final week push". I would get close to completion and the engineers just kept flooding into the shop. You can't get much done with 10 engineers having impromptu meetings in my work area. I put up signs and locked the doors. I thought I had the best job in the corporation, but even that wasn't enough to overcome the corporate atmosphere.