Thread: I may have stumbled across the handiest kitchen knife

Blog Entries

I may have stumbled across the handiest kitchen knife

The blade was made by my wife’s uncle who passed a long time ago. We think he used a power hacksaw blade. Anyway this thing is certainly not stainless but it sure holds an edge. I’m very careful to dry it right away and it just has a nice brown patina.

I’ve used it to slice tomatoes for years by laying it sideways on the cutting board and cutting through the tomato horizontally. A year ago, the wood handle got bad so I made a new one. I made the two scales different thicknesses since I mostly slice tomatoes with it. One side is 3/16” and the other is 1/4” so I can get two different thicknesses.

Blog Entries
    We need pictures of this knife.....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    The blade was made by my wife’s uncle who passed a long time ago. We think he used a power hacksaw blade.
    Hmmmm, one of those came my way at an estate sale many years ago. This sounds like a great use for part of it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Speaking of tomatoes, ours are starting to come in. This one is a Godfather. Excellent. The plant was given us by a friend. Our knives are mostly Cutco’s. My in-laws bought Cutco’s back in the late ‘40’s and my daughter still has them. My wife worked at the thigh school so annually the kids would bombard us with new Cutco offers. My go-to is the Vegetable knife
    Attached Images Attached Images

I belong to a group of families that get together to butcher pigs every March. Most of the people in the group scavenge flea markets and yard sales looking for the Hickory Forge hollow ground carbon steel knives. They are easy to sharpen and beat most stainless knives at cutting. Two of the guys in the group made hilts and belt sheaths for the 8 inch long butcher knives and carry them as their hunting knives. There is nothing that is easier to sharpen than hollow ground carbon steel and it does a great job on the hard to slice items like tomatoes.

"In Japan, the hands can be used as a knife. But this method doesn't work with a tomato. That's why we use the Ginsu.... It can chop wood and still remain razor sharp"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzULnlHr8w

Amazingly, they still sell them:
    https://ginsu.com/
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My late father in law worked in the steel mills.

One of the guys from the mill made him a knife out of a saw blade.
    A really big saw blade - since the knife was a good 18 inches long.

It was my father is laws ham slicer. He loved his baked ham & he loved spending hours slicing ham.

My wife's niece got it when he passed away.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Ginsu guy uses slight of hand.

he pounds the tomato with his hand but when he cuts with Ginsu he pulls the knife back sawing motion. Sure if he had moved his hand back and forth the tomato would be in nice slices ready to put on your hamburger.

And if you order before thursday you get a free patty stacker.