Thread: Who copied who?

Who copied who?

Hmmm..two eggbeater drills...
    2 drills,1.jpg
    Both have a 1/4" chuck...
    2 drills, 4.jpg
    Both about the same age ( and. I am too..)
    2 drills,3.jpg
    Turn them over....a few differences show up...
    2 drills, 2.jpg
    Millers Falls No. 104...vs...Stanley No. 610.....

Great minds think alike? Or....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Since the start of the industrial revolution, and even before, that line of who did what and when has been a major issue. Light bulb, telephone, etc have always been disputed who should hold the patent. Continues to today, and forever. Patent history is very interesting.

Blog Entries
    The Buck Rogers eggbeater drill, #104, was made from 1915 until 1935. Its bigger brother, #308, has an odd situation. Oldtoolhaven.com says it started manufacturing in 1915 and ended in 1922 though the illustration is from the 1955 catalog. Though the illustration looks identical to the illustration for the #104, also from the 1955 catalog. Could it be they had a lot of these stashed in a warehouse somewhere?

The Stanley #610, "100 Plus" was manufactured in 1950, 1957 & 1973 according to John Walter's book.

I've also seen a Stanley stainless steel enclosed gear hand drill with the chuck at 90º as a medical tool. Those do not seem to be listed in any of the usual sources.

The medical industry has some interesting tools. Many are similar but different than what woodworkers or mechanics use. Though I did meet a mechanic in Berkeley who had a lot of specialized wrenches he received from a chiropractor that he used in some automotive work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The 610 and 612 were from the "100 PLUS" series...celebrating Stanley's 100 years of making tools....
    drills 2.jpg
    This might be the drill you were thinking of?
    drills 1.jpg
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use