Thread: Cummins WBS-3231 Bandsaw Is It Worth $50

Cummins WBS-3231 Bandsaw Is It Worth $50

I have an opportunity to buy a Cummins WBS-3231 bandsaw for $50. The owner says it runs, but needs a new blade. I haven't seen it in person yet. Below is the picture he sent me. I know there are better bandsaws out there. This one looks every similar to the HF Central Machinery bandsaw. I currently have a scroll saw but no bandsaw. Is this even worth messing with? Does anyone actually have one?
    image_6487327.jpg

When I taught school, the shop had an identical BS. For fifty bucks, and a little time spent, you can have a decent starter band saw.

If it comes with a running motor, I'd buy it for $50.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You had better be quick to make up your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If it comes with a running motor, I'd buy it for $50.

Mike
    Beat me to it. $50 for a running motor and switchbox is fair. Better deal if the blade can be used.
    remove table before moving, broken trunnions are a deal killer.
    Bill D

Did you get it yet? As long as it starts and runs without too much noise or vibration there are plenty of videos on tuning a band saw. You'll want a new blade in all likelihood. I'll bet Harbor Freight parts will fit if they're needed down the road, they've sold what looks like the same saw for years. One part I wouldn't get from Harbor Freight are the tires. There are better sources for bandsaw tires.

I would pass. Years ago there was a tool show that sold the cummings brand that passed through here. I bought a 1/2" electric (120v) impact driver. It was junk. It make HF tools look like Snap On. I ended up buying a Dewalt version and the best thing about the Cummins was the plastic case.

If you buy it you'll spend a lot of money adding the stuff it really needs. For example if you want to remove the tension on the blade it's a knob that's hard tot urn because it's right next to the guard. You can replace it with a much better set up but it'll cost you. The guides are most likely very poor quality and will need replacing. The motor is from an unknown Chinese company and is likely less than 1hp. It probably has the pulley set up to be used as both a metal and wood saw. You'll fight to keep the belts from slipping. Then there's the belts, unless they have been changed they are most likely very low quality Chinese ones. I can assure you that the wheels aren't even close to being aligned so that's something you'll also want to do. Don't forget the tires. Chances are they are made from low quality rubber. Unless money is really tight I would just try to find an original Delta used. I usually see them around here for $200~$250.

I had a similar one made for Woodworker’s Warehouse. What a piece of junk. Couldn’t get it to cut straight despite lots of tuning. Save your money for a better used bandsaw!

It depends on what you use it for. If you are getting by with a scroll saw this will be a huge upgrade. I recommend starting with a 3/16" blade.

Might make a nice start for a disk sander. have to lower the table somehow. The two wheels are worth it for a mobile base.
    Make a good anchor, or two, for a small boat.
    Bill D