Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What 8" jointer would you get and why?

What 8" jointer would you get and why?

I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on an 8" jointer. I don't have one right now and I'm tired of having to planer sled/table saw sled for jointing and not getting perfect cuts on those anyways.

Prices are all over the place between brands. I'm wanting helical and probably parallelogram. Willing to buy new as well.

Any suggestions to look into?

Powermatic would be my choice. I have the 6” and wish I had gotten the 8” parallelogram.

Something weird I noticed is there are no more 8" powermatic jointers listed on their website. I wonder if that's a temporary glitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Alden Peterson View Post
    Something weird I noticed is there are no more 8" powermatic jointers listed on their website. I wonder if that's a temporary glitch?

I also just noticed a severe lack of items on both Powermatic and Jet websites. On Jet, all the DC-650 and DC-1100 dust collectors are gone. On the Powermatic, only 3 dust collectors are shown (but there are 8 Powermatic dust collectors on the Woodcraft site).

I'm going to guess it's a data glitch in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    I also just noticed a severe lack of items on both Powermatic and Jet websites. On Jet, all the DC-650 and DC-1100 dust collectors are gone. On the Powermatic, only 3 dust collectors are shown (but there are 8 Powermatic dust collectors on the Woodcraft site).

I'm going to guess it's a data glitch in their system.
    I've been tempted to get the PJ-882HH for a while. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy it on Amazon.

There's a manufacturer offering woodworking machines called Iron wood.
    I've seen a few in YouTube videos but not in person.
    The head they offer looks to be a better choice if you must have carbide and self setting with forward rake.
    Not sure if they offer a 8inch .
    I do believe it's the parallel design.
    Good luck

Have you considered one of Grizzly’s lines ?

How’s the used market in your area ? It’s not listed in your profile.

Laguna has a nice offering , though you have to deal with Laguna.

Have you considered a combo like a Hammer A3-31 ? More money but more/better machine that anything mentioned so far.

I started out with a 6” Powermatic with helix cutter. Nice machine but not wide enough and would sometimes move due to lack of weight. I sold it to upgrade.

next machine was a hammer 12” jointer planer with segmented cutter. This was a really great machine but honestly I got tired of converting back and forth between functions. I sold this a few years back with the rest of my shop.

today as I’ve inched back into woodworking I’ve had to keep everything mobile in my space. I also decided to limit costs where I could. I shopped Facebook marketplace and found a great condition jet 8” jointer for sale for a good price. So far I only had to add some plywood into the mobile base and a dust collection connection to the side. Otherwise for less than 1/2 new it was a good find I think.

Be sure to check your used market. I drove around 100 miles to get this one.

Blog Entries
    Any of the 8" machines that are basically clones of the old Delta DJ-20 should be fine. Jointers are simple machines that just require that the design be well implemented (like drill presses). My Grizzly G0490X clone has served me well for over a decade without a hiccup. A heavier, fancier base is fine but does not effect the operation of the machine itself. Good luck on the quest and I will agree that although J/P combos (no matter how nice) are great space savers the short beds and changeover would wear on me unless I had to go that way to make things fit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I own a Grizzly 8" by 72" jointer that is over 20 years old that has served me well. I'm not sure if Grizzly still has a price point advantage, if so you would be wise to put a Grizzly jointer on your list of machines to evaluate.

While I prefer a wider arrangement as comes with a J/P combo, I'll echo what Glenn just mentioned...pick something that's available as there really isn't anything innovative about most 8" jointers. Pre-owned is the most cost effective if you can find something. Otherwise, focus on actual availability and price rather than paint color and name. (unless you prefer a particular color, of course...I'm actually anal like that! LOL )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought an 8-inch Grizzly GO858 jointer in 2019 and have been very pleased with it. I like the long bed it has and have found its adjustments easy to make. I was concerned about the lever table adjustment being fine enough but it has worked very well for me. It cuts well and has been rock-solid reliable since I've had it. I've liked Grizzly's delivery service as well as the driver has helped me move the pallet into my shop both times (table saw and jointer) I've ordered from them.

Relatively recent woodworking magazine reviews of 8" jointers include Fine Woodworking in February 2019, WOOD Magazine in May 2016, and Woodworker's Journal in April 2015 if you've got access to back-issues.

I decided on Grizzly for reasons I don't remember (but may have included that I was happy with the table saw I had bought from them) and did a feature comparison between several models. I can't post pictures to this forum but can share it with you directly if you like. There is supposed to be a send email option but I'll be darned if I can find it. Email me if you can find it or post an email address and I'll send it to you.

8" Poitras used, then buy another machine with the money saved

I have the 8" grizzly dovetail. I didn't want to pay for the parallelogram, but did pay for the helical head. It was also in stock when I bought which was a big factor as well - I would've upgraded to parallelogram if that was in stock instead of the dovetail.

For me I set it and forget it. I don't remember the last time I messed with the setup of my jointer aside from confirming the fence is 90° before edge jointing. Results off it are as good as can be.

I would get the one that's at least 12" wide. Seriously. I started with a 10" J/P and now have a 14" but still often wish for wider. Everything gets easier on a wider machine. Long beds are nice, but not nearly as important to me as width.

John