Thread: Sharpening angle for LN 140

Sharpening angle for LN 140

Probably a simple question - what angle do you sharpen the blade at on a 140 skew block plane to control tear out? 40 deg? My version doesn’t have a knicker so I plan on using it mostly with the grain.

Hi Keegan

It is not imperative to have a nicker for cross grain planing. Score the boundary with a sharp cutting gauge (such as a Japanese knife gauge or a wheel gauge), and work up against this. The line is knifed with heavy strokes at the start, and again after a few runs with the plane. This will keep the sidewall from tapering. If there is any tearout as you near the depth wanted for the rebate, as you are forming a rebate against the grain, finish with a shoulder plane planing with the grain.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek. IÂ’ll try that out. Any thoughts on sharpening angle? Given that the skew lowers the effective angle, shouldnÂ’t I sharpen a secondary angle that is steeper to reduce tear out. Or does that defeat the purpose of the skew?

On my 140 the bevel is about 28 degrees. I keep one primary bevel angle after some time and lots or stropping i restore the primary bevel.
    Its the same angle I use on my Apron planes.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Thanks Derek. IÂ’ll try that out. Any thoughts on sharpening angle? Given that the skew lowers the effective angle, shouldnÂ’t I sharpen a secondary angle that is steeper to reduce tear out. Or does that defeat the purpose of the skew?
    Hi Keegan

Anything between 25-30 degrees is going to be fine. I hollow grind the bevel at about 28 degrees (I see Andrew does as well), and then it is a simple matter to freehand the edge as needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek