Thread: Drywall texture repair question

Drywall texture repair question

My cottage has a ceiling that is textured. There used to be a ceiling light window that was removed. There was some moisture issues, but not a real dripping leak. Some of the old texture has come loose and a few spots of the old tape is loose also. It was not primed by whoever textured it. I want to prime it before retexturing. Any suggestions on latex vs BIN vs Kilz vs another primer? Thanks, Ron

Use any primer you have, just nothing with any gloss. Anything with a bit of 'tooth' for the mud.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    My cottage has a ceiling that is textured. There used to be a ceiling light window that was removed. There was some moisture issues, but not a real dripping leak. Some of the old texture has come loose and a few spots of the old tape is loose also. It was not primed by whoever textured it. I want to prime it before retexturing. Any suggestions on latex vs BIN vs Kilz vs another primer? Thanks, Ron
    If there are any water stains, you will need to use an "oil, or shellac based primer. Water stains bleed right thru water based primers. DAMHIK!

No stains, I think it was more of dampness over time than a dripping leak.

Latex will most likely cause more of the "texture" to come off.

Blog Entries
    Kilz Up Shot was made just for such tasks.

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 6.30.54 PM.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Texture of any sort is almost impossible to duplicate.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee is correct. probably faster and easier to retexure the entire ceiling then to try to get a match that blends in.
    Bill D.

It is a loft section of a large A frame room and I could retexture that whole section. The real issue is, for the part that is coming off, what is the best primer to use to get the best adhesion. I can texture the solid part to match.

This was my answer for a stained sheetrock ceiling in a rental house. The house was old enough that the texture could have had asbestos in it. I just put the beaded board plywood right over top of what was up there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys, I’ll prime with solvent based and heed the warnings about asbestos. I believe it was last renovated in the 80’s.