Thread: Input needed: EM 8000 CV with crosslinker using Fuji Q4

Input needed: EM 8000 CV with crosslinker using Fuji Q4

Hoping for some quick guidance - I've got a new Fuji Q4 and sprayed EM6500 quite easily using a 1.3 needle. I was planning to spray EM 8000cv with crosslinker and only refernece I found mentioned using the same 1.3 needle. Can anyone confirm if this is the right setup and/or provide any other tips for spraying the 8000? E.g., should I sand the base color coat prior to applying, how many coats should I need.

Thanks in advance!

I've used that exact set up to spray EM8000cv with the cross linker as well as without the crosslinker.
    The crosslinker (@5-7%) does not alter the viscosity or spraying properties at all.

Mix the cross linker in per the video on Target's site. You have to stir while adding, and continue stirring for a minute after. Then let the mix stand overnight (sealed) before spraying the next day. They say the crosslink activated product has a pot life of 5 days, but I've found it to last longer.

I did not sand the base color coat (target tinted lacquer) before topcoating.

I'm curious, do you always topcoat the EM6500? I added the cross linker directly to the 6500 and haven't had any issues with durability ... at least not yet.

-Tom
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    I'm curious, do you always topcoat the EM6500? I added the cross linker directly to the 6500 and haven't had any issues with durability ... at least not yet.

-Tom
    EM8000cv is the top coat. It's even more durable than the EM6000. The cross linker primarily provides increased chemical resistance to the Target Coatings finishes you add it to for that specific reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...