Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any advantage with different bandsaw speeds?

I cut only wood. Green, resaw, curves: it’s all at one speed. There is no need for a second speed unless you are cutting different materials.

Then again I only use a single, low tpi blade. I am unsure if you are looking for finish cuts with a high tpi whether an alt speed is preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I think there are some production band saws that do run at 5000 FPM. They and the blades they use are designed to do that. Oliver is likely not one of those. The little Rikon 10-325 is set up for two speeds, 1445 and 2950 FPM. I think the lower speed is for non-ferrous metals, it would also give more torque at the cost of cutting speed, sort of like downshifting a truck.
    I've no doubt that there are 5000 fpm saws and blades, my 100 year old Oliver and the blades I set it up for are definitely not.

As a counterpoint, my 26" Moak saw has a direct drive 900 RPM motor (6100 FPM), factory original. I have no trouble.

The Tannewitz manuals for that era show 900 RPM direct drive as standard on their 36" saws (8400 FPM). For that you need very well constructed wheels, something they brag out in a 1940 sales brochure (http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1913) For the 42" bandsaw the brochure recommends 720 RPM for "furniture work" (7900 FPM), and 900 RPM for automotive work (9800). Tannewitz were considered top of the line machines, and were common in furniture factories of the era. I once saw a film clip of women at a furniture factory cutting curved legs and it was zip, zip, zip. I could not follow a line at 1/4 that speed.

Terry T

My Grizzly 19" has two speeds. The only time I used the low speed was when I first got the saw and was a little intimidated (since I was coming from a 14" HF Delta clone. But once I got use to the new saw I have never used the slow speed again. I doubt I ever will.

A few advantages to lower speed come to mind;

Noise reduction

Less sawdust carryover and turbulence, so easier capture

Less hp required (requires a slower feed rate)

Less wear on bearings, especially guide bearings

With variable speed it would be possible to adjust the speed to the preferred feed rate

Less tendency to burn some woods

Less tendency for the saw to vibrate

According to the user´s manual for my Makita bandsaw, slower speed is for metal cutting. Higher speed for wood.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.