Thread: Lube for ways

Lube for ways

What kind of lube is good for lubing ways, worm gears and rollers?

Way lube. Some are Shell Tonna T68, Esso Febris K68, or Mobile Vactra Oil #2. Home shop. shop types use chainsaw bar oil.
    Bill D

Metal lathe ways, certainly Vactra #2 et al. Wood lathe ways, certainly not way oil. It'll just get gummed up with sawdust and wood chips. There is not as much movement of the steady rest and tailstock on a wood lathe as with a metal lathe. Frequently waxing (and buffing) of the ways is good enough to reduce friction and prevent corrosion on a wood lathe. Similar thinking with worm gears and rollers.

Dupont chain saver. Goes on liquid dries to a thin wax which does not attract dust. Self cleaning?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Dupont chain saver. Goes on liquid dries to a thin wax which does not attract dust. Self cleaning?
    Bill D
    Thanks Bill! I just ordered some to try out.

What about ways on a slider?

Does your slider have felt wipers like a Martin? What kind of bearings does it have? Some machines have rollers running on phenolic ways. Mine has steel rollers running on steel ways and any kind of lubrication is self defeating due to the dust sticking everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    What about ways on a slider?
    I use Ballistol on my slider with v-ways and ball bearings.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 08-15-2022 at 7:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    Anyone tried Dupont Chain Saver for lubricating the raise and lower mechanism as well as the tilt mechanism on a table saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    Anyone tried Dupont Chain Saver for lubricating the raise and lower mechanism as well as the tilt mechanism on a table saw?
    I wonder if DuPont Chain Saver is relabeled or very similar to DuPont Teflon multi use lubricant. It goes on as a spray then dries so dust shouldn't stick to it unlike oil or grease. The classic lube for table saw mechanisms has been paste wax and a tooth brush to apply it.