Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaper cutter?

Shaper cutter?

I am looking for a shaper reversible stile and rail set with a 1/4 round for some cabinet doors. I can only find the multi piece set. These are a lot more than a reversible any ideas?
    thanks
    gary

I purchased an insert set from Whitehill Tools and think highly of it. I think Infinity sells a set which might work for you.

I just purchased this freud ec260 set from ebay and returned it. It was missing one cutter. I think it has the correct sex cutter to do the round over but not the concave mating section. If that works for you a good deal for $65 delivered. About $200 off list price.
    Bill D.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/26582564685...UAAOSwSTRi5VlW
    https://www.freudtools.com/products/EC260-IC

Your grammar is unclear. Do you want a single piece cutter that is like a router bit? Which type is more expensive. What bore.
    Do you just need the groover and round over. If so look at the ebay listing I posted. If you need the round in cutter that set will not work since it is missing that one cutter. I assume freud will sell that one cutter?
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Reversible sets can't be a round over based on the geometry.

Thanks for the info. To clarify I am looking this profile. https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...3-4-bore/c2165 Need a 3/4 bore this is my first purchase for a new shaper. Though a 3 pc reversible set would save money and since the griz is out of stock I may need to take what I can find within reason to get my cabinets built. Looks like Whitehill has a knife set in the profile. I didn’t find anything at infinity. Is there any other suppliers that have knife sets and a cutter block. Shaper is a new Harvey hw303. I special order 2 wings, 1 each end, and mounted the Harvey sliding table without the front extension. Ended up like this https://youtu.be/vX8KpzChTP0 Have runs some router bits since I set it up but I am ready for some real cutters
    thanks
    gary

Blog Entries
    Well, you could look for some Freeborn cutters -- https://freeborntool.com/mc-line-3-4...-1-8-material/

Personally, I'd ditch the ¾" spindle and get an 1 ¼" -- there's a lot more choice and you are more likely to be able to pick up used cutters.

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Markham View Post
    Thanks for the info. To clarify I am looking this profile. https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...3-4-bore/c2165 Need a 3/4 bore this is my first purchase for a new shaper. Though a 3 pc reversible set would save money and since the griz is out of stock I may need to take what I can find within reason to get my cabinets built. Looks like Whitehill has a knife set in the profile. I didn’t find anything at infinity. Is there any other suppliers that have knife sets and a cutter block. Shaper is a new Harvey hw303. I special order 2 wings, 1 each end, and mounted the Harvey sliding table without the front extension. Ended up like this https://youtu.be/vX8KpzChTP0 Have runs some router bits since I set it up but I am ready for some real cutters
    thanks
    gary
    I'm curious about those Harvey shapers, let us know what you think of it after you've had a chance to use it for a while.

Tooling choices are numerous, and can become quite a rabbit hole but I always promote flexibility for non-commercial, low volume users instead of one-trick-ponies. The TCT versions often include the ability to make variable groove thickness which is nice, but that is the only profile it will ever do for you and if you don't need the ability to make several hundred doors or work in man made materials, the carbide isn't really a bonus to you. A limiter block with knives will make tons of doors for you with excellent finish, and when you're done with that project, you still have a limiter block that will hold thousands of different knives and accept custom ground ones if you ever need it. Right around $180USD for an aluminum block (for your light machine) and knives and you're off to the races.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    I'm curious about those Harvey shapers, let us know what you think of it after you've had a chance to use it for a while.

Tooling choices are numerous, and can become quite a rabbit hole but I always promote flexibility for non-commercial, low volume users instead of one-trick-ponies. The TCT versions often include the ability to make variable groove thickness which is nice, but that is the only profile it will ever do for you and if you don't need the ability to make several hundred doors or work in man made materials, the carbide isn't really a bonus to you. A limiter block with knives will make tons of doors for you with excellent finish, and when you're done with that project, you still have a limiter block that will hold thousands of different knives and accept custom ground ones if you ever need it. Right around $180USD for an aluminum block (for your light machine) and knives and you're off to the races.
    Good suggestions Brent, my only comment is the adjustable groover have hogging and scoring cutters, leaving a much cleaner exterior which can be required if the edge is visible such as in frame and panel doors.

I have 2 multi profile heads and use them frequently, very versatile and cost effective……Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Good suggestions Brent, my only comment is the adjustable groover have hogging and scoring cutters, leaving a much cleaner exterior which can be required if the edge is visible such as in frame and panel doors.

I have 2 multi profile heads and use them frequently, very versatile and cost effective……Rod
    Using an adjustable Groover for the OP's scenario would be very awkward because it's a profiled sticking/cope scenario as I understand it.

For square shouldered/mission style the AG is a good option though many folks do appreciate the mild edge easing that other options can provide. It simplifies assembly and makes it easier to get good results with painting if that applies.

Follow up. How does it work buying from Whiehill and shipping to the US. Shipping and exchange rate. Do just let the CC company handle it. They have the knife profile. #1155745. Would need to buy the head also. 96 x 55. Who in the US would have a similar head and grind knives.
    thanks
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Markham View Post
    Follow up. How does it work buying from Whiehill and shipping to the US. Shipping and exchange rate. Do just let the CC company handle it. They have the knife profile. #1155745. Would need to buy the head also. 96 x 55. Who in the US would have a similar head and grind knives.
    thanks
    Gary
    Hi Gary, the CC company will look after everything for you, and most folks in the US haven't even been charged duty or anything. They're using a new courier service now, and things are arriving in the range of 2 to 4 days. The 96x55 block will work with the very common in North America 40mm knives that Dimar and CMT and others sell. A fair number of US grinders are comfortable grinding those custom, but of course Whitehill grinds 24/7 with robotic fed, automated CNC grinders too if you want to go that route. Their 96x55 blocks are also suited to their 55mm knives that will often let you do both cope and sticking profiles on one knife for a significant savings.

If you don't have a rebate block, then you might consider their combi head which is a rebate block and a limiter head all in one. The rebate block is the most commonly used head for many folks followed by the limiter block so getting them both in one head for a savings is appealing to some folks. Heavier, more commercial users prefer seperate blocks, but lighter users do like the "2 for 1" aspect of the combi. I have a few videos on my YouTube channel about these options if you want to check them out in more detail. I am helping Whitehill on this side of the pond, so feel free to ask any questions you might have.

B

Brent. Great info. Does a rebate cutter cut on top, bottom and outside face of the knives. I assume it does, just confirming. Do they make a guide bearing of the same od to use it as a pattern cutter, and is there a 3/4” smaller od for a 3/8” deep cut. What od combi do you recommend. Looks like the best option may be the steel 125 x 55. For my light use an aluminum 96 x 55 would be good if they have it.
    thanks
    gary

That profile will work with either diameter head. For your future shopping awareness, some profiles will only work with the smaller head. The 55 wide profiles allow more useful cutting area than the typical 40mm ones. Whitehill uses really good steel unlike some of the more widely available brands too.

I happen to own that profile in both steel and carbide but haven’t used them yet.

My orders arrive here in Australia in a few days…they are well wrapped. Whitehill are a professional outfit.
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 08-15-2022 at 1:15 AM.