Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: 30w Fiber Laser Not Firing Help Please!

  1. #1

    30w Fiber Laser Not Firing Help Please!

    Hi All!
    My 30w fiber laser stopped firing when it was about 1/3 thru engraving an aluminum bracelet. Can anyone give some advice?

    I'm using ezcad2 14.9.

    Are there any fuses inside the Laser box?

    Can anyone also tell me if a dialog box opens with a Agree/Disagree dialog box when you start ezcad2? The dialog box has computer characters in the box. It's not text or Chinese language it's computer code characters. I'm asking because today is the first time that the dialog box was shown. Every other time ive opened eazycad2 the program opened without ever showing the Agree/Disagree dialog box. Strange???

    Also when I went to the setting the Laser Control was set at IPG_YLP. If my memory server me correct it was set at RAYCUS. My laser component inside is a Max.

    Thanks for any help and advice!
    Last edited by Nick Marchesani; 08-11-2022 at 9:42 PM.

  2. #2
    never on 4 fiber lasers over 6 years have I seen an 'agree/disagree' dialog--- could be your program is corrupted or whatever... Also, the IPG-YLP box shows up on all 4 of my fibers, so I'm thinking that's just a default setting that doesn't apply to a basic fiber laser. A MOPA or YAG may need to be set differently...

    Did your program come on a flash drive?

    If yes, did you copy it to your computer and have been running from there?

    If yes, try running the program directly from the flash drive-- insert it, navigate to the EzCad2.14.9 folder, and run the EzCad2.exe---

    The laser will run from default settings, but all you need to find out is if the laser fires when running from the stick.

    If it DOES, then your laser's fine and the program is toast for whatever reason--

    If it DOESN'T fire, then you likely have something else going on. If that agree/disagree box comes up too, then you may have a bad controller...

    .... if it fires okay running from the stick, then just copy the EzCad2.exe file from the stick, open the original EzCad2.14.9 folder and with the mouse pointed away from any folders hit PASTE-- the computer should ask if you want to overwrite the existing file, YES...

    In a perfect world, then the laser should work fine and all your settings will be intact...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    never on 4 fiber lasers over 6 years have I seen an 'agree/disagree' dialog--- could be your program is corrupted or whatever... Also, the IPG-YLP box shows up on all 4 of my fibers, so I'm thinking that's just a default setting that doesn't apply to a basic fiber laser. A MOPA or YAG may need to be set differently...

    Did your program come on a flash drive?

    If yes, did you copy it to your computer and have been running from there?

    If yes, try running the program directly from the flash drive-- insert it, navigate to the EzCad2.14.9 folder, and run the EzCad2.exe---

    The laser will run from default settings, but all you need to find out is if the laser fires when running from the stick.

    If it DOES, then your laser's fine and the program is toast for whatever reason--

    If it DOESN'T fire, then you likely have something else going on. If that agree/disagree box comes up too, then you may have a bad controller...

    .... if it fires okay running from the stick, then just copy the EzCad2.exe file from the stick, open the original EzCad2.14.9 folder and with the mouse pointed away from any folders hit PASTE-- the computer should ask if you want to overwrite the existing file, YES...

    In a perfect world, then the laser should work fine and all your settings will be intact...
    This is the dialog box. It's hard to see in the pic but top left it says license.
    https://goldrushgang.com/20220811_182720.jpg

    The program did come on a flash drive. I've tried running off the drive but it didn't work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I tried installing a newer version.
    It stopped firing while it was working/firing.
    Its nowhere near 10,000 hours. Maybe a few hundred.
    Last edited by Nick Marchesani; 08-12-2022 at 7:34 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,904
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yes, ALL my versions have a agree/or disagree box pop up. English text unless I'm fooling with a different version.
    Have been there on my Ray fine and on my SFX. But you haven't been seeing it.

    I would uninstall and reinstall, drivers and everything. OOPS, You've done that.....

    If it still doesn't work, sounds like one of two things, the cheap power supply - About $100, or the source. $2 to $5k depending on power and brand.
    There is no real fuse in most cases, they are internal to the supply. Open it up and look around for lights.... And I'd check wiring just a bit WITH THE POWER OFF and unplugged.
    I had a wire that was loose on the power switch.
    Check with your seller if relatively new for warranty. Good Luck.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

  5. #5
    Thanks Kev and John!
    This things crazy! Now the dialog box isn't showing when I start ezcad2 but it's still not firing.

    I made a page showing the settings. The 2nd pic shows raycus but i changed it back to IPG_YLP.
    Thanks Again!

    https://goldrushgang.com/ezcad/
    Last edited by Nick Marchesani; 08-12-2022 at 10:32 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Helena, MT
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Marchesani View Post
    Thanks Kev and John!

    I made a page showing the settings. The 2nd pic shows raycus but i changed it back to IPG_YLP.
    Thanks Again!
    Just an FYI, that setting is really setting the communications protocol that the main controller board uses to communicate with the laser module itself over the serial communications line between the two. It doesn't seem to have any connection to the actual brand of the laser most times. I do know that most all JPT sources use IPG_YLP and most all JPT MOPA sources will use IPG_YLPM. Unsure on Raycus and Max sources though. This discussion has come up a lot on the LightBurn forums with people installing LightBurn and wondering why it's set that way, but it's set the same way in EZCad as well.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber

  7. #7
    1- my 50w machine came with 2.14.9 on a stick, but didn't use it because my other 3 machines were using 2.14.10 . My 'ebay2' machine was setup with 6 different EzCad's loaded into different folders, each corresponds to the lenses I have; a 70mm, 100mm, 150mm, 200mm, 250mm and 300mm; each program has it's own specific settings for each lens. When I got the 50 watter I just copied those 6 folders onto my old Vista laptop and everything worked great, still does! I've made a few minor tweaks here and there is all...

    2- I have no idea where to even find that 'agree/disagree' dialog box. Searching the entire 2.14.9 disk for 'license' brings up simple notepad text files, one in English, one Chinese. Looks to be the same text, just no radio buttons below. Could be that dialog came up during initial installation of the dog driver-? If so I forgot! HOWEVER, IF that's the reason the dialog box DOES come up, then it seems logical your machine's trying to re-load the driver. AND, I can only surmise that if the machine won't fire and it's asking to agree to load the driver, and nothing happens when you do, then it's highly likely your control board is fubar, since that's where the driver resides.

    3- Go to your control panel / device manager, and near the top of the list your BJJCZ Device should show up. Expand the folder and open the laser mark control board V2 file and see if 'device is working properly' appears. If NOT, then your computer is aware of the problem... If it says it IS working properly, click the Driver tab and click Update Driver and let it look automatically. It may or may not say 'the best driver is already installed'. Regardless, click the Browse computer for computer software, then click Let Me Pick from a list of drivers.... the BJJCZ driver should come up, just click on that it should re-install it--
    ------IF ANY/ALL OF THIS doesn't work, then I would thing this too is indicative of a bad board...

    4- just for fun, I just found a long USB cable, and connected it THIS computer I'm using, which is my "main" computer and has never run any of my fiber lasers. I also plugged in the 2.14.9 stick. I connected to the 50w machine in the other room and fired it up. When I did this computer 'couldn't find the software', so I pointed it to my stick, and it automatically loaded the driver. I ran EzCad off the stick, it loaded up fine. I grabbed a saved job off the laptop thru my network and saved it to this computer, and opened it in EzCad. It red-lighted and engraved like it's supposed to. The 50 is my newest fiber and it's 2 years old, and that was the last time I've fiddled with installing EzCad until now, and everything worked out fine! And FWIW ALL 4 of my fibers have MAX lasers. OH, and I still didn't get that agree/dialog box....

    IF you go into the Device Manager, and delete the fiber's driver and it doesn't reload right, or doesn't work if it DOES reload right, I'm still thinking controller...

    ONE more thing to try: In the EzCad folder is a file called CorFile2.exe-- OPEN THAT, and first thing is to click the Set Laser Parameter bar-- at the top, switch "laser" to "IPG", as "C02" is probably defaulted. NEXT, at the bottom of the screen is Power Analog and Frequency Analog outputs, change those to 50%... Now, get some material the laser can mark, that's at least as big as your laser's engraving limits and focus it. THEN, click the Mark 9 Points Rectangle-- What's going to happen is the laser is going to go thru some full-range motions WITH the laser firing. On MY machine, after it got done it then drew a tiny continuous rectangle that slowly grew larger but NEVER stopped engraving! So BEWARE of that!

    --I have no idea what the CorFile even does or why, I just it's some sort of correction file and I've never learned what it's for. HOWEVER, my Triumph originally came with a USB dongle, and I found out that running this little program THE LASER FIRED DURING THIS PROCESS EVEN WITH THE DONGLE REMOVED!! Not sure, but THIS may be a way to find out if your laser is bad or not. The caveat is that the dongles are part of the controllers these days, and I'm not sure this will work, but if it DOES fire, then YAY!

    Hope some of this helps!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  8. #8
    I have a theory on what happened and thought it may help others if it is what caused the Laser to stop firing.

    I saw in this article that RAYCUS and max lasers have a short range of 20 to 80 kHz.
    https://www.barchlaser.com/differenc...ng%20materials

    I'm sure that my laser was set to RAYCUS not to IPG_YLP but somehow it switched to IPG_YLP.

    The RAYCUS setting in ezcad2 is 20 to 80khz and
    20 to 200khz for IPG_YLP

    Maybe the Laser was sending a frequency higher than 80 and burned out the Laser?

    Possible?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    1- my 50w machine came with 2.14.9 on a stick, but didn't use it because my other 3 machines were using 2.14.10 . My 'ebay2' machine was setup with 6 different EzCad's loaded into different folders, each corresponds to the lenses I have; a 70mm, 100mm, 150mm, 200mm, 250mm and 300mm; each program has it's own specific settings for each lens. When I got the 50 watter I just copied those 6 folders onto my old Vista laptop and everything worked great, still does! I've made a few minor tweaks here and there is all...

    2- I have no idea where to even find that 'agree/disagree' dialog box. Searching the entire 2.14.9 disk for 'license' brings up simple notepad text files, one in English, one Chinese. Looks to be the same text, just no radio buttons below. Could be that dialog came up during initial installation of the dog driver-? If so I forgot! HOWEVER, IF that's the reason the dialog box DOES come up, then it seems logical your machine's trying to re-load the driver. AND, I can only surmise that if the machine won't fire and it's asking to agree to load the driver, and nothing happens when you do, then it's highly likely your control board is fubar, since that's where the driver resides.

    3- Go to your control panel / device manager, and near the top of the list your BJJCZ Device should show up. Expand the folder and open the laser mark control board V2 file and see if 'device is working properly' appears. If NOT, then your computer is aware of the problem... If it says it IS working properly, click the Driver tab and click Update Driver and let it look automatically. It may or may not say 'the best driver is already installed'. Regardless, click the Browse computer for computer software, then click Let Me Pick from a list of drivers.... the BJJCZ driver should come up, just click on that it should re-install it--
    ------IF ANY/ALL OF THIS doesn't work, then I would thing this too is indicative of a bad board...

    4- just for fun, I just found a long USB cable, and connected it THIS computer I'm using, which is my "main" computer and has never run any of my fiber lasers. I also plugged in the 2.14.9 stick. I connected to the 50w machine in the other room and fired it up. When I did this computer 'couldn't find the software', so I pointed it to my stick, and it automatically loaded the driver. I ran EzCad off the stick, it loaded up fine. I grabbed a saved job off the laptop thru my network and saved it to this computer, and opened it in EzCad. It red-lighted and engraved like it's supposed to. The 50 is my newest fiber and it's 2 years old, and that was the last time I've fiddled with installing EzCad until now, and everything worked out fine! And FWIW ALL 4 of my fibers have MAX lasers. OH, and I still didn't get that agree/dialog box....

    IF you go into the Device Manager, and delete the fiber's driver and it doesn't reload right, or doesn't work if it DOES reload right, I'm still thinking controller...

    ONE more thing to try: In the EzCad folder is a file called CorFile2.exe-- OPEN THAT, and first thing is to click the Set Laser Parameter bar-- at the top, switch "laser" to "IPG", as "C02" is probably defaulted. NEXT, at the bottom of the screen is Power Analog and Frequency Analog outputs, change those to 50%... Now, get some material the laser can mark, that's at least as big as your laser's engraving limits and focus it. THEN, click the Mark 9 Points Rectangle-- What's going to happen is the laser is going to go thru some full-range motions WITH the laser firing. On MY machine, after it got done it then drew a tiny continuous rectangle that slowly grew larger but NEVER stopped engraving! So BEWARE of that!

    --I have no idea what the CorFile even does or why, I just it's some sort of correction file and I've never learned what it's for. HOWEVER, my Triumph originally came with a USB dongle, and I found out that running this little program THE LASER FIRED DURING THIS PROCESS EVEN WITH THE DONGLE REMOVED!! Not sure, but THIS may be a way to find out if your laser is bad or not. The caveat is that the dongles are part of the controllers these days, and I'm not sure this will work, but if it DOES fire, then YAY!

    Hope some of this helps!
    Thanks Again I'll try that and let you know if it worked.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    1

    It didn't work. I have the cover off. When I turn the Laser on there is a green light on the board. When I try to laser something and while it should be firing a red light comes on next to the green light. ???

  11. #11
    I just pulled the top cover off my Triumph and checked, green light idle, green PLUS red light when firing, sounds like same as yours...

    Speaking of red-lights, does your F1/red preview pointer work correctly?

    When it was working, did your red-light run alongside your laser's beam, or is it off when running? Just curious, my 30 watters all have 'running' red lights, but my 50w machine turns the red light off while running.

    Reason I'm asking if the red light is working okay is I'm wondering if you may have some sort of obstruction blocking the beam? Like, a moth, or a dead bug fried to the lens-? Been thru both of those myself! The scanheads on these things have only about a 3/8 diameter "tube" the beams (red and fiber) must pass thru; the red beam is very small compared to the fiber's incident beam, and might make it past an obstruction the fiber's beam won't fit thru.

    Another thing, and I only know this to be true on my Triumph as I haven't had to dig into the other 3 machines yet, is that its red beam is mounted on a tube between the main laser's snout and the 'input' to the scanhead; the red beam shoots DOWN onto a 45 angled mirror that points it to the scanhead mirrors, and the red-light's mirror is transparent to the fiber's beam, it just passes thru it. IF yours is the same way and IF some bug or spider or something happened to park itself on the mirror, it could be fried to the back of the mirror, not allowing the fiber beam to pass thru...

    (trying my best to believe your laser source isn't toast!)

    And because I've done this myself, I have to ask-- is the lens in place? -- the small M52 lens scanheads are pretty noticeable if the lens is out, but the bigger M85 lenses screw into secondary collar, and if the lens is out of the collar it's not really all that noticeable! I spent half a morning once fiddlefarting around trying to figure out why the one machine wouldn't fire before I noticed the lens wasn't in!

    What I really wish I knew is how to tell for sure if the laser IS firing or NOT firing without having to tear into the thing....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

    Speaking of red-lights, does your F1/red preview pointer work correctly?

    When it was working, did your red-light run alongside your laser's beam, or is it off when running? ....
    I appreciate all the time you've spent helping!

    The red pointer works correctly and did follow the Laser when it was firing. The red light is still working and following.

    I took the lens and collar off. No obstructions.

    I'm thinking this is probably toast.

    What do you think about the setting? RAYCUS setting in ezcad2 is 20 to 80khz and 20 to 200khz for IPG_YLP. I'm sure that it was on RAYCUS but was on IPG_YLP when it stopped working.
    I saw in this article that RAYCUS and max lasers have a short range of 20 to 80 kHz. If it was sending 200khz at full power it could have screwed up burnt up the laser???
    https://www.barchlaser.com/differenc...ng%20materials

  13. #13
    ** to the best of my knowledge **, you can't fry a laser by changing those settings. Part of my 'knowledge' comes from fiddling with the settings myself -- ALL of my lasers and the EzCad programs have been defaulted with the IPG setting. I've changed that a few times, I've engraved with the settings at 200kz many time, just trying to see if I can discern a difference, and I've honestly found none. You can change the khz parameters yourself, and what happens is, if you enter a khz setting beyond those parameters, you'll get an error message. But during real-world testing, I've literally found no difference in how the laser 'acts' at settings above 80khz or below 30khz. I've read on these pages a few years ago something to the effect that, due to certain limitations of these lasers that I don't really understand, that a fiber laser's lowest possible khz output is equal to its wattage rating, which would mean no lower than 30khz on my 30w machines... However, not sure how true that is because that would mean my 50w machine would output no lower than a 50khz beam, but I can tell you that I DO notice a difference between engraving at 30khz and 50khz, the lower frequency is definitely more aggressive. As to running at higher khz settings, from my experience the laser simply won't run higher than it's design or other limitations regardless of the settings you choose.

    All of which is to say, IF you're laser source has failed, it likely isn't because of anything YOU did or settings you tried. If that were the case, I'd've blown out at least one of mine long ago!

    one last thing: while the cover is (still?) off, get a can of electronics spray cleaner, I use this stuff religiously-crccleanr.jpg, unplug every connector you can find inside the machine, liberally spray both ends of each connector and plug them back in. You might get lucky!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Iowa USA
    Posts
    3,862
    Ditto what Kev said and I think he already told you to unplug and re-plug all the connections. Some Chinese venders sell counterfeit Ezcad boards so maybe you got one of those?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , WorkBee 1000x750 CNC Router - Mach4 - Windows 10

  15. #15
    Still nothing. I did notice that when the Laser is running or should be firing that if I turn off the power button ezcad2 gives an error message but if I turn off the red button that fires the Laser ezcad2 keeps running. I have to click the stop button.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •