Thread: New Clearvue silencer coming soon

New Clearvue silencer coming soon

Contacted Clearvue to ask a few motor questions about upgrading my single phase motor to 3 phase with a vfd to allow running slower to tame the noise.

They replied and mentioned that they have a new filter silencer coming soon. Here is there reply for those interested.

Below is the information you requested on the silencer:

· Weight – 18 lbs
    · Length – 23 5/8″
    · Outside Diameter – 12 1/2
    · 22 Gauge Galvanized Steel
    · Average of 13 db reduction in noise

I’ve seen items like this from various online duct sites. Have to wait and see what the price is first. May be cheaper to build one. We’ll have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cleveland View Post
    Contacted Clearvue to ask a few motor questions about upgrading my single phase motor to 3 phase with a vfd to allow running slower to tame the noise.

They replied and mentioned that they have a new filter silencer coming soon. Here is there reply for those interested.

Below is the information you requested on the silencer:

· Weight – 18 lbs
    · Length – 23 5/8″
    · Outside Diameter – 12 1/2
    · 22 Gauge Galvanized Steel
    · Average of 13 db reduction in noise

I’ve seen items like this from various online duct sites. Have to wait and see what the price is first. May be cheaper to build one. We’ll have to see.
    I think a better approach is a bigger impeller and run it at a slower speed but that will never happen. The cyclone won't be any bigger or if it is only marginally and use a built in speed control....noise problem gone.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Interesting. Those dimensions exactly match the Fantech LD8 duct silencer. See this page as reference:

https://shop.fantech.net/en-US/ld--8--silencer/p115542

Under dimensions, it states the length of the LD8 is exactly 23-5/8". However, that is only for the "muffler" part. With the duct extensions, the unit is actually 29-7/8". The end of the LD8 fits just inside the EF-5 "Norfab" 8-inch quick-connect output port. The LD8 has a rubber gasket built into the end that rests against the Norfab QF rolled duct end. With a Norfab 8" o-ring and a QF clamp, you are good to go.

An 8" flex hose will fit over the other end of the Fantech LD8 just fine. Here is my Fantech LD8:

Fantech_LD8_1.jpg

Fantech_LD8_2.jpg

If you look at the "acoustic" tab on the Fantech page, you will get the amount of noise reduction at each frequency. For the LD8, the average db reduction for 63 Hz to 8 kHz range is 11.125dB. Average for 125 Hz to 8 kHz is 12.42dB. Average for 250 Hz to 8 kHz is 14dB. This seems to match what Clearvue is telling you.

The Fantech LD8 can be had for $128 from supplyhouse.com (very competitive pricing). There is also a Vivosun 8" duct silencer for around $80, but it uses egg-crate material for sound absorption (not as effective). Plus, the egg-crate design is a little more restrictive on the air flow.

Norfab has it's own version of the 8" duct silencer, but they are insane for asking $1178 for it. If you look at the design, it is no different than the Fantech LD8. The Norfab is just a bit longer (35"). I do not see any of these duct silencers performing better than the other (the Vivosun likely performs less).

If you have the space, you can actually use two Fantech LD8 in-line to further reduce noise. That is about a 60" length, however.

It will be interesting to see what the Clearvue product looks like after they release it. They may have specific models that connect to their Clear and Metal cyclones. The Clear cyclones have a square output.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 08-13-2022 at 6:32 PM.

Three phase motor and vfd is easy. Penz described how to build the fan housing. Do you have suggestions for the impeller?

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Crosby View Post
    Three phase motor and vfd is easy. Penz described how to build the fan housing. Do you have suggestions for the impeller?
    I believe Grizzly can supply impellers for their Asian import cyclones. Keep in mind I am not in the US but I have installed an Asian cyclone with a 17'' impeller and I am sure that it would be adequate at under 50hz. Beyond buying from grizzly it becomes roll your own so to speak, I copied an already made impeller for simplicity reasons. I think 17'' is the biggest practical size for a hobby work shop due to duct sizing and the duct would be the same as specified for a 16'' CV Max. It would be a killer extractor with heaps of overhead capacity if it was needed. None of this is any advantage unless the machine ports are opened up to 6'' of course, just running 6'' to the machines with a 4'' port is useless.
    Chris

FWIW, I installed the Grizzly version, and couldn't tell any real difference. The Grizzly is much shorter, maybe 1' in length, but otherwise identical.

I was finally able to get further in this project. It turns out that on the Fantech LD8, the rubber gasket on one end was getting in the way of the Norfab quick-fit O-ring and the quick-fit clamp was not able to close. Cutting and peeling off that rubber gasket solved the problem. It has a good tight fit with the Norfab clamp now. Used the same O-ring that comes with the Norfab adjustable nipple.

I'm curious if you did this with the Fantech LD8 did it make a significant noise difference? Thanks!

I installed the Clearvue on my EF5and according to the sound level app on my smart phone I saw a reduction in sound level from 81db to 75db. To me it was well worth the money and the effort to
    redo the install, now I just need to put some sound insulation around the filter in the shop, my EF5 is in an enclosed area built on the side of my shop so the filter had to be brought in the shop or I would lose the conditioned air.

Quote Originally Posted by John E. Hobart View Post
    I installed the Clearvue on my EF5and according to the sound level app on my smart phone I saw a reduction in sound level from 81db to 75db. To me it was well worth the money and the effort to
    redo the install, now I just need to put some sound insulation around the filter in the shop, my EF5 is in an enclosed area built on the side of my shop so the filter had to be brought in the shop or I would lose the conditioned air.
    I rolled my own and it reduced the noise level from 92db to 69db @ 60hz. It exhausts to atmosphere and the muffler is on the outside wall of my workshop so I reckon that might have a slightly mitigating effect as the noise is dispersed and not confined to a room.
    Chris