Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Buy This?

IF a client WANTS it like that...Client gets what Client wants.....you could always NOT take any photos, so there is no evidence that YOU actually made it....and..sanitize the shop once you deliver the "product(s)" to the Client...and not say a word about that "extra" $400 in the bank account....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I'd buy it for kindling to start the wood stove.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    As P T Barnum said, “There's a sucker born every minute!
    "and two born to take him"

Another one I like is "It is morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Not what I would choose, but to each his own. I know folks that think my Stickley was a passing fad.

I made several accessory pieces for the room, including frames, a wall hanging shelf, and the round top side table. I made the hall entry table too. The rest is genuine Stickley. We have a few antique items from Cron-Kills (desk) and Quaint Furniture too. We're huge fans of the mission/A&C style. Lamps are either from Ragsdale or Mica Lamp Company. We've collected a few slag glass lamps over the years too. My wife made the baskets. Our house is full of self made items but I haven't had the guts to make anything really large yet. Maybe once I retire.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Asking this question here is kind of like going to a Berkshire Annual Meeting and asking a bunch of professional value investors if they'd buy TESLA and Doge Coin.

The audience being questioned is a bit too sophisticated to be interested, but there's obviously no shortage of buyers to be found somewhere.

I made several accessory pieces for the room, including frames, a wall hanging shelf, and the round top side table. I made the hall entry table too. The rest is genuine Stickley. We have a few antique items from Cron-Kills (desk) and Quaint Furniture too. We're huge fans of the mission/A&C style. Lamps are either from Ragsdale or Mica Lamp Company. We've collected a few slag glass lamps over the years too. My wife made the baskets. Our house is full of self made items but I haven't had the guts to make anything really large yet. Maybe once I retire.

That is some of the coolest furniture and home decor that I've ever seen.
    You have an incredible sense of style and ability to execute. I could never even come close in my head/imagination, let alone implementation.
    Seriously impressed!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    Asking this question here is kind of like going to a Berkshire Annual Meeting and asking a bunch of professional value investors if they'd buy TESLA and Doge Coin.

The audience being questioned is a bit too sophisticated to be interested, but there's obviously no shortage of buyers to be found somewhere.
    You are right Luke. Well after posting it occurred to me the question should have been, "Who Would Buy This."

It was an advertisement that popped up on a page being read and it struck me as insane that someone would consider paying that price for something made of reclaimed wood.

It makes me think of a story told about a guy on a corner during the great depression selling apples. His sign read, "Wonderful Apples, One Million Dollars Apiece."

A passerby said, "you won't sell many apples at that price."

The man selling the apples said, "I only have to sell one."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Wonderful stuff Rob. Made my morning. As to shabby chic and rustic as styles, I was a young adult during the 70s so I've seen worse. I mean where's the love for Clockwork Orange interiors???

Clockwork Orange ineriors 1.jpg

Gimmie some green shag carpeting and impossibly uncomfortable Jeston-esque sofas and chairs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Not what I would choose, but to each his own. I know folks that think my Stickley was a passing fad.
    Something so beautiful, welcoming and comforting will never be a passing fad.

I don't know about passing fads, but Stickley, Arts & Crafts and Mission furniture is some of the most comfortable furniture that still show cases the wood as a major element.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    That is some of the coolest furniture and home decor that I've ever seen.
    You have an incredible sense of style and ability to execute. I could never even come close in my head/imagination, let alone implementation.
    Seriously impressed!

Thanks Luke. That's very kind of you. I got hooked on Mission/Arts and Crafts in college in Kalamazoo. One of my minors was art, and I concentrated on architectural and design movement history. That's where I first was exposed to the Arts and Crafts movement. My wife and I would hit the antique shops looking for furniture that impoverished students could afford and trip over all kinds of Stickley and related furniture. Stickley Brothers had been located in Grand Rapids about an hour North and Limbert had been nearby too. The stuff was so durable it looked like new. I wish I'd had the money back then to pick up some pieces on the cheap. That was 40+ years ago. 20 years later it was crazy expensive as it got popular again.

Suffice to say our home has nearly reached critical mass on Quarter Sawn White Oak, Art Glass and Mica lamps, Copper Pieces, and A&C pottery. We've spent the last 40 years on the hunt for special pieces and making a few of our own. I'm hoping when it's time for the estate sale the style is still popular in some circles.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    E Beautiful furniture and furnishings Robb! Your stuff is truly “classic“ in the timeless sense of the word. I’m confident it will always be valued for its aesthetics, comfort at obvious quality materials.

As to the cabinet in the OP, Full points for creativity! I’m always shocked when I go to the lumberyard and see the prices for “reclaimed Barnwood“, some of that stuff goes for more than mahogany, walnut etc. Go figure – I guess it takes all kinds.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    I’m always shocked when I go to the lumberyard and see the prices for “reclaimed Barnwood“, some of that stuff goes for more than mahogany, walnut etc. Go figure – I guess it takes all kinds.
    The old side boards from my pick-up were replaced after more than a decade in the weather. My plan was to use them to make birdhouses. Now my thoughts have turned to the possibility of making some shabby chic furniture and a fortune.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You are right Luke. Well after posting it occurred to me the question should have been, "Who Would Buy This."

It was an advertisement that popped up on a page being read and it struck me as insane that someone would consider paying that price for something made of reclaimed wood.

It makes me think of a story told about a guy on a corner during the great depression selling apples. His sign read, "Wonderful Apples, One Million Dollars Apiece."

A passerby said, "you won't sell many apples at that price."

The man selling the apples said, "I only have to sell one."

jtk
    I've always loved that story!

And, I've always been keen to try it out... Or some variation thereof. You know what they say, envision your perfect customer if you want to find your market. I guess we all suffer from the habit of envisioning thrifty, rational, tasteful customers, when we could be targeting a much more profitable crowd.

My guess is whoever painted it did not build it. With all the upcycle, furniture flipping videos out there I think it came off the curb or from a thrift shop, got a quick "refresh" and listed for sale. In the eighties I worked with a guy that made some of the weirdest things you ever saw and sold them through a gallery for pretty big bucks.

The listing says it’s made in India, so I’m sure there’s plenty of profit margin.