Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Buy This?

Blog Entries

Would You Buy This?

There are all kinds of what seems to me insane advertisements popping up on screen while reading the news or anything else.

What amazes me is not so much what is selling, but the prices.

Who Would Buy This.png

Is this some kind of scam or will somebody actually pay that much to have something like that in their home?

I could likely make a bunch of those in no time and be rich if I could find the fools to buy them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No. My guess is the guy just likes turning them out ,and now his wife is “ turning them out” of the garage or spare bedroom, or both.

Well it is marked down

…or maybe he just read a a blurb about Salvador Dali, or Picasso and “ Get RICH Quick” book in the same day….plenty of THOSE around.
    And the prices are way down !

I’ve seen that shabby chic furniture sell like hot cakes at a craft show. I had a booth with my crafts and I got smoked by these young 20th century hippies with nose and eye brow piercings sell that kinda of stuff.
    They also had plywood signs for the lawn with rainbows and flowers paintings. I could see the craft in 2 $ signs but not the Frankenstein furniture.
    Seems like some people like the idea of living with heirloom furniture so much they will accept a fake.
    I know this is very judgmental of me.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I know this is very judgmental of me.
    Good Luck
    Sometimes you gotta call it the way you see it!

Apparently you don't need machinery, tools, decent wood, knowledge or skill to be successful furnituremaker these days, it is in fact an impediment.

Picture1.jpg

https://rh.com/catalog/product/produ...Id=cat10220034

You are correct. Nicely made furniture like you and I prefer is not what sells today. Painted stuff is hot, even if it is mahogany or walnut underneath. My daughter is furnishing a new home. She looks at stores like Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel. Nothing is classic or period. Arts and Crafts is dead. Almost any piece will have a painted portion. Virtually all of it is made off-shore.

I would like to make some furniture for my kids, but not like what they see at the stores or on-line. The current woodworking magazines are not in touch with trends either, so where to find plans for future projects?

It reflects a fashion. Fashion is rarely expected to last more than a few years, and then the pieces will be replaced. The owner will not develop a relationship with it, and will not miss it when it is gone. Therefore the construction does not require the same build quality as something intended to be enduring. A single, or two, feature pieces like this might be attractive and a talking point, which is the intention. The piece in question is clever and probably worth the outlay (if you can accept that it is temporary) for the artistic effort.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Also, at least the OP piece is priced not by “how much does cost me to manufacture it”, but rather by “how much does it cost me to run a business like this on Amazon”. In other words all the fees and other expenses are priced in. And I’m pretty sure that anyone form this thread wouldn’t be too far away from that price if they would truly think how to make it worth their while to actually consider this type of business.

It’s not like I’m defending these pieces. They’re hideous and they’re tasteless, it’s just there’s a bunch of other factors when it comes to pricing. In fact going by just a cost of manufacturing is a sure way to go bankrupt very fast since you’re going to subsidize your customers.

Blog Entries
    As P T Barnum said, “There's a sucker born every minute!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would not buy that.

Another old saw: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Not what I would choose, but to each his own. I know folks that think my Stickley was a passing fad.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Beautiful stuff Rob! did you make it ?