Thread: Pressure treated lumber

Pressure treated lumber

Went to the local farm & home store today for some pressure treated lumber. 2 X 12 X 12. Treated lumber was actually cheaper than standard white wood. Dont know that I have ever seen that before.

I bought some a few days ago. 2x12x16 was $45, but a 2x4x12 was $15.

$396 worth in this picture in the back of my pickup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I bought some a few days ago. 2x12x16 was $45, but a 2x4x12 was $15.

$396 worth in this picture in the back of my pickup.
    I'm jealous Tom, I had to pay $76 for a 2x12x16 a couple weeks ago. Had a hard time convincing myself to do that.

Menards has AC2 cheaper than untreated framing lumber here now too. There is no sanity left.

Construction lumber, in general, is coming down in price across the board, but some of the anomalies we might see out there in the home centers and lumber yards could certainly be from what they paid for the stock on-hand. New stock is lower cost to them, but I doubt they want to accelerate losing money on existing stock. I'm speculating there, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This garden planter cost over $100 just for the lumber. Buckets were around $5 each. Plus my Dad set up drip irrigation for each bucket and all that adds up. Those were some expensive vegetables! But they taste so much better.
    IMG_3954.jpgIMG_3955.jpg

A lot of products are on a boomerang effect. When everything was in short supply, lots of orders just sat. When product became available, tons of it shipped. Now some warehouses are full and the prices came down to sell. Suppliers are also looking at the end of outdoor construction coming up. My assumption why PT is cheaper.

There were times during the price spikes of the last couple of years when PT 2x4x8s were less than plain ones on the Lowe's and HD web sites. Both were very high, compared to previous prices, and also both were bouncing around quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Newton View Post
    This garden planter cost over $100 just for the lumber. Buckets were around $5 each. Plus my Dad set up drip irrigation for each bucket and all that adds up. Those were some expensive vegetables! But they taste so much better.
    IMG_3954.jpgIMG_3955.jpg

Well if the harvest is as good as the pictures look, you are in for some good eats. Looks like corn in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Newton View Post
    Yes, initial cost is high, but after a few years, things will balance out a bit more and the quality of the veggies takes the rest of the pain away!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...