Thread: Atlas Copco and Saylor-Beall Reciprocating 2-Stage Compressors

Atlas Copco and Saylor-Beall Reciprocating 2-Stage Compressors

Hello, I am running into issues with output on my current 10g compressor 3.5CFM/120PSI with desiccant dryer. I am switching to an 80g 5HP pressure lubricated compressor with a corresponding refrigerant dryer of at least 15sCFM/175PSI. I have narrowed down to two choices (as listed in title). Saylor-Beall has a solid reputation however they are running up to 7 months behind on units. Atlas Copco now offers smaller units that are comparable, in specifications, to the 705 series from SB but has a self-described "new design". I really can't find much more information on anyone using or reviewing these Atlas units. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this new Atlas design (CR5-TS series) and can provide feedback. Thanks!

I'm sorry I can't help you Derek - but you may want to look at or ask at the Garage Journal forums; they have a ton of compressor expertise.

I was curious, so went looking. I did't see anything that looks like any new design.

https://www.atlascopco.com/content/d...n-Brochure.pdf

Larger compressors come up fairly frequently on CL. I bought a 10hp Speedaire pressure lubricated on a 120 gallon tank for $500, and it needed little to go right to work. It had been pushed aside in some business soon after they bought it because it wasn't large enough, and sat for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Molaver View Post
    I'm sorry I can't help you Derek - but you may want to look at or ask at the Garage Journal forums; they have a ton of compressor expertise.
    Hi Josh, agreed, I've read a number of threads other brands and some Atlas Copco but nothing about the CR5 yet. Your point is taken, I might try posting there. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I was curious, so went looking. I did't see anything that looks like any new design.

https://www.atlascopco.com/content/d...n-Brochure.pdf

Larger compressors come up fairly frequently on CL. I bought a 10hp Speedaire pressure lubricated on a 120 gallon tank for $500, and it needed little to go right to work. It had been pushed aside in some business soon after they bought it because it wasn't large enough, and sat for several years.
    Tom,

Agreed, larger units are more readily available on Ebay/Marketplace. The smaller units with specific features I want are not (as far as I've seen). I have space, power, and noise limitations.

Regarding the new design, check the first paragraph of the first page (after cover page) of the PDF you linked:

More dependable than ever with tailored options for all contractor, professional and industrial applications, Atlas Copco is pleased to introduce the newly designed CR cast iron piston compressor series. The CR range delivers a champion combination of outstanding reliability matched with robust performance, even in the most demanding conditions for a dependable piston you can count on.

Capitalizing on heavy-duty cast iron construction and a combination of computer-aided design with controlled machining processes, the new CR single stage and two-stage compressors deliver up to 175 psig with 24/7 reliability.We back this up with our bumper to bumper warranty packages, and have options for a 5 year extended warranty, depending on the model chosen.
    What that exactly means or how new it is is hard to say but it does say it's both a new design and compressor (or thats how I read it). Not much comes up when looking around for more info..
    Last edited by derek labian; 08-11-2022 at 9:00 AM. Reason: added remainder of quote and clarified