Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brothers

Brothers

Looking for some ideas on wording for a gift. A friend asked me to do a special engraving on a picture frame that will hold a specific photo. I'm not at liberty to post the photo, but it's 2 young brothers sitting on concrete steps in the early 1970's. They were probably 3 and 6 years of age and their tricycle & bicycle handlebars are in the foreground. They are both smiling and the older brother is slightly behind his little brother with his arms wrapped around the little brother's shoulder & body with his hands clasped. The little brother has his elbow resting on his big brother's leg. The big brother conveys both protective, loving and happy all at the same time while the little brother looks happy, comfortable and relaxed. Apparently the boys NEVER fought and were always the best of friends. As adults, people did not know who was the older brother because they both looked up to each other. The older brother tragically died twenty years ago when he was 34 and it was quite devastating for the younger brother.

The photo was recently found and will be given to the younger brother. He may not remember this photo exists. The friend is struggling with what to have me engrave since we have to factor in the older brother has passed away. "Brother = Best Friend" doesn't seem right now that 20 years have passed.... yet at the same time, when that photo was taken, they were best friends. Same thing with "Brothers are like glue. They stick together."

A few quotes I thought of:

"The Fabulous XXX Brothers"
    "My big brother always has (had?) my back."
    "I always looked up to my big brother. I still do."
    "I smile because you (were?) (are?) my brother. "

Any thoughts or suggestions? Normally I would tell the customer what they want engraved is up to them, but this is a friend that is asking.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I don’t think that made up stuff is appropriate for a photograph. It’s two brothers . Don’t make it shlock …. like something picked out
    of the big greeting card stores. Your friend has done something kind . He should now write on the back of the frame something like…

It is my honor to present this image of two brothers to my dear friend ( insert name here).

The boys names and the year pic was shot should go on the front of the frame.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 08-10-2022 at 1:08 AM.

...it was the worst of times...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I don’t think that made up stuff is appropriate for a photograph. It’s two brothers . Don’t make it shlock …. like something picked out of the big greeting card stores. Your friend has done something kind . He should now write on the back of the frame something like…

It is my honor to present this image of two brothers to my dear friend ( insert name here).

The boys names and the year pic was shot should go on the front of the frame.
    Mel has a good point. I might even leave off the engraving all together and only put a note on the back as he suggests.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I’m with these guys. Don’t engrave it. Those are not our emotions to have, or author.

I’d write just the first names and year on the back. No engraving. That feels most respectful to me.

Excellent feedback everyone! My original thought was "there really are no words to say" for a frame like that, but then I became "stuck in neutral" trying to help come up with the right words for my friend. I'm going to suggest that the picture be given in the frame, and if the "little brother" would like something engraved on it that suits him, I will engrave it in the font of his choice.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

btw, I found the story and your description touching. It's rare that siblings are so aligned at a young age.

I think Mel got it right too. The picture speaks for itself, as your description says so well.

They really did get along spectacularly. I doubted it a bit based on what I have witnessed in life, but it's true. I had the pleasure of meeting the two brothers back in the mid 90's. They both had these great smiles that would flash from behind thick dark beards. Just one of those everyday moments where you meet a bunch of people at a 4-wheeling event and they were memorable guys. The older brother was more confident meeting new people, while the younger brother was a bit shy and could fix anything. What is nice to know is the little brother has really come into his own identity, is more confident meeting new people and still shines that great smile, while still fixing everything he gets his hands on.

He ain't heavy. He's my brother.

I'll go against the tide and suggest simply

'Best Friends' or a distant second 'Better Times'.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-11-2022 at 12:15 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The PEOPLE OF THE FUTURE will want to know something about the brothers ,and the kind of men they were. Remember , they are
    more smarterer than we are. And, I will tell you something….they don’t like like being trifled with !
    Part of what makes people want to cherish ….and preserve old photographs is knowing who the subjects were . That bit of information can
    even lead to the photograph being sold or, even being found by their own family.

I have to agree with the sentiment of no words on the front.

On the back, nothing more than, "Brothers, Forever".

There is an adage about a picture's worth in words. From what you describe, it needs no additional words.

Another option is to just engrave their names.