Thread: Outdoor Fountain Pumps

Outdoor Fountain Pumps

I have two fountains on my patio that GF wants to replace. They were originally 120VAC, but I had long ago retrofitted them with 12VAC pumps to run off a standard landscape lighting transformer. The candidate replacement for the larger fountain is 120VAC, so it needs a replacement pump in the 240-300GPM range.

Problem is, all the low-voltage pumps I'm seeing are either way too small or 12VDC. Amazon is kicking my butt: searching for "low voltage fountain pump" coughs up several hundred entries, most of which are clearly 120VAC (the plug on the end of the cord is kind of a giveaway), with a few of the aforementioned too-small and/or DC units. Is there a different search term I need to use, or am I looking at a new/additional transformer to use with a DC pump?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Why not add a rectifier and use dc? Or justt use solar
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Why not add a rectifier and use dc? Or justt use solar
    Bill D
    Well, I'm trying not to turn this into a scavenger hunt...

Do you have a source for a 12VAC-12VDC converter that is weatherproof? It'll either have to be at the output of the transformer (outside) or at the fountain itself (also outside, plus water), those are the only places the wire is above ground. And it needs to handle at least 50W.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 08-09-2022 at 8:12 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Blog Entries
    Might try this from Amazon.
    150 W and water roof.

LED Driver 150W 12.5A Waterproof IP67 Power Supply 12V DC Transformer Adapter
    Thinner and Durable Low Voltage Power Supply for
    LED Strip Lights LED Module and Power Accessories

Howard Garner

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I assume a boat or motorcycle rectifier would be waterproof. Looks like they want 20 volts or more for input.
    Bill D

https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-Rectifier-regulator-rectifier-Electrical/dp/B08DX9WG65?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/MRELC-Rectifi.../dp/B091MMPPZY
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-10-2022 at 10:56 AM.

UPDATE: Found exactly one 12VAC pump with the required volume. The 120V version of the same pump is available pretty much anywhere, probably the same one that ships with the fountain. The low-voltage version is only in stock at one fountain supply place in Maine, 5-7 day delivery, but certainly better than ordering from Alibaba or some such.

Luckily the second (smaller) fountain we picked will run off the same pumps as the old fountains...I think I even have a new-in-box spare if I can remember where I stashed it.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm glad I don't have to MacGyver this one.

In case you have issues with the one you found, here's the 12V A/C to 12V D/C waterproof rectifier.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Wat.../dp/B07N1H2MV1
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    In case you have issues with the one you found, here's the 12V A/C to 12V D/C waterproof rectifier.

A bit of kit that may prove useful in the future...looks like it was actually intended for this situation. Bookmarked.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

The one Howard posted is less money and includes the transformer and rectifier in one sealed package.
    Bill D.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Tr...075RDM4K8?th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The one Howard posted is less money and includes the transformer and rectifier in one sealed package.
    That's a bug, not a feature: I already have a transformer, and also need 12VAC for the existing lights. The 12VAC->12VDC widget can be mounted at the fountain without affecting other devices. In any case, I think the problem is sorted without the need for either.

Thanks anyway.