Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Praise for upgraded dust collection setup!

Larry, you make a good point about the cost of blast gates and it's certainly reasonable to expect them to be relatively leak free. But the nature of blast gates and how they operate does make it hard to get a hard seal. That gate has to slide to open and close, so it's not a tight fit in the slot it rides in. The leakage is compounded when someone installs them "backwards" so the locking knob forces them open rather than closed. In the end, they somewhat rely on the system's air flow to "seal" them. We can only hope that the "premium" products at least try to do a better job...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There is no reason that gates should leak at all. A 6" aluminum blast gate costs about $25 and leaks ??? My 6" blast gates slide and do not leak. They cost a couple of dollars to make.

What is relatively leak free ???? Try to do a better job??? If I had them and they leaked, I would rate the 1 star out of 5 and return them.

This is one of mine with a 6" to 4" reducer. It doesn't clog or jam, slides easy and no leaks.

o6b5nd9.jpg
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 08-17-2022 at 9:46 AM.

I'm using Clearvue's blast gates sized for 6" sewer/drain PVC . Could not be happier .

I may have found a couple reasons for your leaky blast gates. I did find that I could hear a small air leak in my own Nordfab blastgates, but it was easily solvable. When the flap on the blastgate is push all the way closed, there is a small dimple on the flap which lifts the flap away from the surface and there is just a very tiny air leak. You just need to pull the flap a VERY TINY bit (we are talking like 1mm here). That will pull the dimple away from the side and the blastgate seals. However, if you pull too much (more than 1mm), you will create an actual opening that give you a small air flow into the duct.

The other possibility is if you installed the clamps incorrectly and you now have a gap/hole leak. The problem is described in detail on this post here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....23#post3222123

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    There is no reason that gates should leak at all. A 6" aluminum blast gate costs about $25 and leaks ??? My 6" blast gates slide and do not leak. They cost a couple of dollars to make.

What is relatively leak free ???? Try to do a better job??? If I had them and they leaked, I would rate the 1 star out of 5 and return them.

This is one of mine with a 6" to 4" reducer. It doesn't clog or jam, slides easy and no leaks.

o6b5nd9.jpg
    I still cannot work out why leaks cause so much angst apart from the noise. They reduce or go to zero when a duct is opened so what is the problem? If the duct is 100mm/4" then the blast gate will still leak because the duct is operating at maximum flow so the leak is still not affecting the performance of the duct.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening