Thread: Red Mallee Burl turning squares for Wine Goblets and Beer Mugs

Red Mallee Burl turning squares for Wine Goblets and Beer Mugs

Anyone ever turned this species of Wood ? Where can you find either 4/4 stock to glue up, or turning squares that are 4 inches square ?

Never turned it but I know that both Rockler and Woodcraft have regularly stocked turning blanks.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Anyone ever turned this species of Wood ? Where can you find either 4/4 stock to glue up, or turning squares that are 4 inches square ?
    The best site I have found for mallee.
    AustralianBurls.com - Australian Burl Caps

Its beautiful burls, very hard.

Very hard. Sanding? Try not to need any.

Down my way mallee (primarily roots and burls) was the main source of firewood for many decades. It burns long and hot. Just order a load of firewood and pick out any pieces you fancy for turning from that. The root is as interesting as the burls, but full of sandy soil, which takes its toll on tool edges.

The supply of roots is almost depleted, but we can can still get mallee firewood, although you get more tree trunk in the mix than roots nowadays...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/murr...ood/1296147740
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...