Thread: Lumber prices have come down some

Lumber prices have come down some

...but still expensive. This is $396 worth of treated lumber I picked up this morning. The 2x12x16 was $45, which was a little over half what they were a few months back. The last ones I bought were $28, but that's been some years ago.

It might have been cheaper in a box store, but I buy from a pro building supplier where I can back up to the stacks, and pick boards I want. BIL and I were able to find mostly clear boards for a dock I'm redoing.

No, I don't tie down lumber, and haven't for 50 years. Not enough traffic around here to worry about it, and it arrived home just like it looks here. Yes, the bird seed, horse and chicken feed travel fine there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's nice, but in the cabinetry/furniture grade lumber:
    Hardwoods still up 40-50%
    Hardwood plys, close enough to call 100%
    No relief in sight.
    Would love an explanation how one type of lumber can swing wildly up and down, while the other group swings upward and just hangs there...

I'm thankful that some building materials are coming down in price because I'm going to be buying a bunch of material for the interior work in my new shop building in about a month and a half or so. But some products I'm going to need are tied to oil and those are not budging too much to-date.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...