Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blocking Texts

Most unwanted texts I receive as of late are directly from websites, not phone numbers = no option to block. Now what?

Michael:
    Funniest hit I got was from a state senator in my personal email (no, I didn't sign up, nor belong to his political party)
    Touting a new bill he sponsored "keeping the Fed out of small businesses". Yet, he used the same tactic to promote himself by sticking himself, a representative of the government, in my personal business.
    I responded with basically: "you want my vote: TERM LIMITS".

It was just a robot, so the point was missed. Seems the more we use technology to connect, the more disconnected we actually are.

jeff

Disclaimer: this is not an attempt to go political

That's what I wonder too. How to block a text from an email address or a website?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Political campaign calls and other communications are not part of any kind of "official "do not call" lists and they source the information in many cases the same way commercial businesses do... They generally will remove you if you ask, however.
    This. I've received maybe 10 texts in the past few months from politicians or political action groups. They always include, at the end of the text, something along the lines of "Reply 'stop' to end these texts." I have done that each time and, so far, I haven't received any further messages from a campaign/group I've opted out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    That's what I wonder too. How to block a text from an email address or a website?
    There is still a "phone number" associated with the text, even from those sources, as SMS rides on the telephony network. There is a gateway server of some form that's taking the communication from the web or email and funnelling it via SMS to phones as texts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, I guess the trick is how to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I was getting texts from the xx campaign during the 2020 election season, but no idea how they got my phone number as I never contacted his campaign nor did I give any political party my phone number.
    I have had the same thing happen multiple times. Never signed up with any political organization and never given my phone number to one. I wonder if they are getting them from voting records? They are probably paying some spam company to merge voting records with their spam victim database to generate the text message list. Which is the politician sponsoring the businesses who's whole purpose is to manage spam lists and promote spamming... many THANKS to the POLITICIANS! If you are completely void of reasons to not like politicians... here is a good one!
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 08-09-2022 at 3:45 PM.

Ok, here's how I find the number to block on my iPhone:

Open the text
    click on the > at the top on the right of the name
    find information and open it
    scroll down and block the caller at the bottom of the page

I didn't read through all responses, so may apologies if this has been said. My carrier (T-Mobile) blocked texting for my number. Rarely a text gets through but not often, mayb once a month. I just swipe it away. I consider texting to be largely unnecessary and often frivolous. Many in my family are upset with me over this, so you may wish to check with those close to you.

Andy

20 some years ago, I had Verizon block texting on my cell also.
    That was back when you had to pay extra for every text, whether you sent it or received it. There was zero incentive for the cell carriers to do anything about spam texts because they made a ton of money on them.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    20 some years ago, I had Verizon block texting on my cell also.
    That was back when you had to pay extra for every text, whether you sent it or received it. There was zero incentive for the cell carriers to do anything about spam texts because they made a ton of money on them.
    The irony of that is that SMS texting (which is a legacy construct at this point, despite still being universally used) is carried on an already there signalling channel...IE, it cost the carrier exactly zero to transport those texts. Pure profit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...