Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocking Texts

Blocking Texts

We have iPhones and get so many texts a day it's driving us nuts. Any calls that aren't in my phone book go to voice mail or just say spam call. I don't answer unless I know the person calling. I can block phone calls from the number. Texts are a different matter. I can't block texts and I'd love to. Now with election season it's worse than ever. I don't belong to a party, I'm an independent and no text is going to sway my vote. Incumbents have a record to inspect and challengers have history's that are pretty available on line. Can you block texts on an iPhone?

google with "blocking texts iphone"

Short answer yes. You can block the number by tapping the number at the top of the text. Next screen tap info, scroll to block at bottom of the screen.
    The caveat is political ads will just use different numbers. I was inundated with ads from political groups and must have blocked at least a hundred before I got it stopped.
    Good luck.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I know about blocking individual numbers, but it would be nice to be able to block texts unless they were in the Contacts list, like you can do for phone calls. I'm never bothered with phone calls from people I don't know. If I didn't, I'd be on the phone a Lot, like I used to be, trying to be polite to someone wasting my time wanting free advice. No, I don't know who you can get to fix your roof, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, horse, dog, boat problem.

Those unwanted texts are really aggravating.

Block the number and it also blocks texts from that number.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, but there are almost an endless number of them. With the calls, there is a setting to "Block unknown callers", which blocks calls from anyone not in your Contacts list, but it doesn't block texts from anyone you haven't blocked individually. There should be something similar for texts like the calls thing. Maybe if someone knows where to send suggestions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Block the number and it also blocks texts from that number.
    Yes, this. There is a misunderstanding here. I must have hundreds of numbers blocked over the years and live an undisturbed life ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Now with election season it's worse than ever.
    I always very politely reply... "There is no way I will EVER vote for any SCUM BAG candidate that not only condones but actively sponsors unsolicited text SPAMMING! I will be voting for your opponent ______!"

Unlike scam artists this has been amazingly effective with political candidate spam!

Something that I noticed when switching from Verizon to Mint mobile is that pretty much ALL spam calls and most spam texts have disappeared even though I have the same exact phone number. I used to get 1 or 2 spam calls every day with Verizon. I can't remember the last spam call I got since I switched to Mint a year ago. I still get an occasional spam call but it has been quite a long time, at least a couple of months, with Mint. What carrier are you on? I think that Verizon had a $3.99 a month paid service on top of their already outrageous rates to block spam.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 08-08-2022 at 9:36 PM.

I found this online from 'Techradar'... Have no idea if it works, I don't do texts

How to block or filter texts from all unknown numbers

If you find yourself getting too many texts from unknown numbers, you may not want to bother blocking them one by one. Your best option, then, is to filter any texts that don't come from a verified Contact so you don't see them.

Go to Settings > Messages and scroll to the bottom of the menu. There, you'll see an option to 'Filter Unknown Senders', which sorts all unsolicited texts into a separate list.

Then, to find the hidden texts, tap the Filters button, followed by Unknown Senders. You'll then be able to semi-regularly check if any legitimate texts ended up where they shouldn't. Of course, this mode could also mean missing important texts unless you're diligent about putting new numbers into your contacts list.

Your other option would be to download a call blocker app like RoboKiller (opens in new tab) or Hiya (opens in new tab). Most folks use them to block robocalls automatically, but they also have tech for blocking texts from known spam numbers. That way, you don't need to auto-block texts from people you'll actually want to hear from.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I just realized there hasn't been a single phone call today from a marketer or anyone.

Makes me think the phone may be on the blink again.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I had done what Kev posted about texts. They are put in a separate list, but I still get the text chime alert that I'm getting one, so I have to look for nothing.

I have a list of numbers a mile long, I need to clean them out but don't know how right now. What about texts that come as emails? I didn't even know that could be done. I think the scammers are winning.

Filtering only to known contacts is a good way to deal with this as has been mentioned. The downside, however, is that it then can limit you from getting valid notifications, such as for restaurant reservations and appointment reminders that come from a service that has multiple numbers. That will not matter for some folks but be of consequence for others. It's a "pick your battle" kind of thing...
    --

I was getting texts from the xx campaign during the 2020 election season, but no idea how they got my phone number as I never contacted his campaign nor did I give any political party my phone number.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-09-2022 at 9:10 AM. Reason: removed reference to specific political party to keep things neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I was getting texts from the xx campaign during the 2020 election season, but no idea how they got my phone number as I never contacted his campaign nor did I give any political party my phone number.
    Political campaign calls and other communications are not part of any kind of "official "do not call" lists and they source the information in many cases the same way commercial businesses do...they buy information on the open market. Sometimes the demographic gets, um...misunderstood. They generally will remove you if you ask, however.
    --