Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

8 Aug 2022

Greetings,
    It's been a busy week/weekend with the day job. I'm looking forward to retirement in a few years. I feel that I'm ready to do something with real meaning for a change. No shop time this past week but I've been painting and fixing things in one of the bedrooms to make way for my Army son to come home to stay. Nothing more from me.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I mostly stayed indoors this past week. Don't the same for most of this week, too. For the same reason. At any rate, my "scrap vanity" project got buttoned up relative to the carcass so I need to move on to the drawers once I can actually breathe in the temporary gara-shop. Relative to the new shop building project, 'sent the deposit check in for the concrete work and sent the payment in to SCM/Minimax for the new slider that's arriving...two months early. Unfortunately, it will have to stay crated.

I'm looking forward to a little moderation of temps later in the week and if my right hip cooperates, I'd like to deal with a little patio improvement project so I can get the pallet of pavers off the new shop footprint sooner, rather than later. But it depends upon whether or not I can bend down or not. Sheesh...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

made myself a small systainer cart...tried to buy the Sys-AZ drawers but none to be found locally, so I made a template of the bottom of the systainers and routed out the dimples to hold them in place, then because it looked plain, I cut some Walnut for the front just to add some "look" to the thing. Luckily it was in the mid-high 80's all weekend, so living in the air conditioned room (the garage since house has no AC) was just the thing for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, I like your cart. I don't have a lot of festool stuff, but I store the systainers stacked on shelves...and the one I need is always on the bottom

I got my closet roll outs built along with some simple frames to support the slides. I made the 24 x 27 drawer boxes out of poplar with 1/2 BB bottoms. I made the frames out of 2x4 LSLs. Heavy as heck but they are arrow straight with no twist and a consistent 3.5 x 1.5. Perfect for the application where clearances are tight and stability is important. And at the moment at least, they aren't that much more expensive than construction grade 2 bys. Drawers are varnished; frame is painted. I got everything installed and Mary moved everything back into the closet. Way easier to access stuff now. Love the full access bifold doors that swing completely out of the opening.

I still have to fill nail holes in all the trim in the three hallways, and paint the inside of the front door. Having a hard time getting motivated for that drudgery. Our new family room carpet will be installed on Friday and that will wrap up this phase of the remodeling.

I made a few design changes to the console bookcase that will be the next project; hope to start on that later this week.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Nice job on the Systainer storage, Mike. For future reference, the Systainer Store generally has pretty good stock on things. Not local, I know, but a lot of retailers just don't carry the doo-dads. They have the SysAZ drawers singly as well as in sets of five. (https://systainer.store/collections/...stainer-5-pack)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finished a yarn chest for my weaver wife, and got it moved into her studio.

PXL_20220728_223522450.jpgPXL_20220728_223509505.jpg

Went to beach house of a friend to replace child sized toilet. Then the fun began. First, toilet flange was installed so new toilet wouldn't fit. Bolts could be installed but on one side. This is most likely the reason for the child sized toilet, which was installed with only one bolt actually connected to the flange. This meant replacing flange, which is in a concrete slab. Didn't have chipping hammer with me, so that means a second trip down this week. Then when went to pick up lid for new toilet, it fell out of the box, breaking. No problem, just order a new lid. Got part number off lid, and called Lowes. No parts available for this model toilet, but they did give me a return number to return broken toilet as they have no parts. In the meantime, visitor at friends did me a favor when she left, she took the box to recycle, so now I have no box. Going back on Thursday with all the tools need to fix floor flange and replace toilet. No good deed goes unpunished certainly applies to this case