Thread: Interesting Bevel Gauge

Interesting Bevel Gauge

Found this interesting bevel gauge the other week, it looks like a usual brass and rosewood marking gauge until you look at the locking mechanism,
    (Which I think is rather sleek compared to the offering's of stanley)

Apparently the inventor of the tool sold the patent to Star Tool Co., however what I have here only has "L.D.Howard". on the handle

Link:
    https://www.datamp.org/patents/displ...=UT&country=US

Here's Some Photos:

IMG_4080.jpgIMG_4081.jpgIMG_4082.jpg

Does anyone know anything else about these gauges?
    Are they rare?

Thank you

Blog Entries
    Sometimes the bolt on the Stanley bevel gauge would turn so the lever would end up hanging over the edge. This would sometimes get in the way. This looks like the nut stays inside the outer dimensions of the gauge to solve the problem.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I had'nt thought of that, I forgot that the bolt on the stanley gauge is on on the outside of the tool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Lorden View Post
    I had'nt thought of that, I forgot that the bolt on the stanley gauge is on on the outside of the tool
    One of mine would spin so often that a hole was drilled through it and the stock to insert a piece of brass rod to hold it in place. Gave the nut a slight twist to kink the rod. It works great now.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)