Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use the iVac Fill Level Meter?

What about using a weight sensor or scale instead of an optical sensor? There would be some variation depending on chip size and material, but I bet it would work. Just change the bag when it hits 20 lbs for example.

I just have a window cut in my 55 gal barrel. Only overfilled it once so far - many that's a pain to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    What about using a weight sensor or scale instead of an optical sensor? There would be some variation depending on chip size and material, but I bet it would work. Just change the bag when it hits 20 lbs for example.
    I've been thinking about the same thing as I visited this thread each day to see what folks have been saying. I suspect that a digital scale would be a lot more reliable than the optical sensors which I have had zero luck with after using two of them. (the shop built version that there is a great thread on here and one that came with the SDD system I bought pre-owned and recently sold) I just could not get them to work reliably.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just have a window cut in my 55 gal barrel. Only overfilled it once so far - many that's a pain to clean up.
    Interesting idea. There would have to some way to easily change the calibration from run to run. I know from experience that a full bag of curlies from ripping grooves in pine is way lighter than a full bag of dust from xcutting that same pine.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Interesting idea. There would have to some way to easily change the calibration from run to run. I know from experience that a full bag of curlies from ripping grooves in pine is way lighter than a full bag of dust from xcutting that same pine.
    Lots of industrial measurement solutions are based on weight - mostly load cells and related displays, but I think most SMC-ers will be stunned by the relative cost of these. You can look for 'weight sensitive switch' and might see a few more affordable sensors that will enable a home grown solution.

If you want simple and cheap, perhaps get a used commercial balance scale. Something with a table large enough for your drum and stacking weights on the balance (for 'calibration'..?), then fasten an inductive proximity switch on the beam that triggers when the beam reaches set weight. Wire an annunciator to the switch. And hope you have tall ceilings?

This is link to relatively economical and simple to wire paddle switch sensor. In case of interest.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 08-11-2022 at 3:56 PM. Reason: link

I thought a beam with a sensor at the opposite side might work but the I reject that idea because of the dust issue. The one we made had a LED bar indicator that changed colour to show the changing level but unfortunately it suffered from the dust issue and when you make something for retail sale it has to be bullet proof.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

This would be seriously home made but I wonder about a paddle wheel and a small gear motor with an ammeter. When the wheel is turning in air it wouldn't draw much power. As the wheel became submerged in sawdust/chips the amperage draw would increase wouldn't it? Maybe increase too much and burn the motor up? Maybe use a propeller type thing instead of a paddle wheel so there'd be less resistance when submerged but still more than turning in open air? Ammeter on the little motor to indicate power draw. It's not hard to see the problem with optics and dust.

A thought I had while drifting off to sleep last night was, if there's air motion in the bin, then maybe a simple anemometer could be used to detect that air motion going to zero when it became submerged with dust. Also assumes a signal could be generated when that happens. That's beyond my skills in electronics. But I also don't really know if there is air motion in the dust receptical. Seems like there should be.

Another thought. Since the system is under pressure by the impeller, maybe a change in air pressure occurs when a sensor is buried.

Don't know. Just tossin' stuff out.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

OK, this is so simple it's brilliant. With modern electronic balances you can get one that is under an inch thick (so it will fit inside my bin) that will weigh in the 5-50 kg range and provide a remote output that, with a little engineering, could trigger an alarm. I love it!

Those paddle wheel and vibratory sensors are fascinating. Who knew??

That being said, my Oneida sensor has worked fine for many years with no difficulty whatsoever.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.