Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the iVac Fill Level Meter?

Anyone use the iVac Fill Level Meter?

Morning all,

Overfilled my little delta DC yesterday. I use a paper lawn waste bag instead of a plastic bag which takes away the ability to quickly see the dust level in the bag, but gives me an easy and inexpensive path to dispose the dust with the garbage. I'm usually pretty good about checking the level which is easy, just a quick feel of the side of the bag. But, I guess I hit zen mode yesterday planing some stock... oops.

So while I was cleaning up the mess, my mind got to wandering if I could somehow put a fill meter on my DC. Googling around this morning, I found an iVac unit that is kind of interesting. It's designed to mount on the lid of a 2-stage collector but I'm thinking maybe I could adapt it to my little single stage. The price is a lot better than I expected to find so it would be a relatively cheap experiment.

Anyone here on the Creek use this product and can offer any pros or cons?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Good question, and I'd also love to know the answer. Not at all clear how the thing works and whether it works with the DC running. No mention of calibration, so if it's bouncing a laser off the rising surface of chips it's not clear how it knows when to stop given quite different designs of different dust collectors. Guessing, if it's a laser, distance measuring device, that it won't work (or at least not well) when the bin is full of flying chips and dust. The bin in my collector doesn't fill at all evenly, piling up 10-12" higher around the sides than in the middle, so not much like their picture depicts. My DC has a solid steel box for collecting the chips, so I have to open it up to look on a regular basis, Would really love to have a better way!

I purchased one about 18 months ago. After a bit the lights indicated that the barrel was full when completely empty. It even said full with the barrel removed. I contacted them and they sent me a new one.

About a month later it had the same behavior so I tossed it in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    I purchased one about 18 months ago. After a bit the lights indicated that the barrel was full when completely empty. It even said full with the barrel removed. I contacted them and they sent me a new one.

About a month later it had the same behavior so I tossed it in the trash.
    Ouch. Glad I asked. By chance did you come up with an alternative?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

There are several threads here about DIY solutions for this. If you dags for "dust bin sensor site:sawmillcreek.org" you should find them. Most are variations on a commercial photosensor with a power supply and some kind of light or horn as an indicator. The sensor that came with my Oneida cyclone is pretty much the same deal, and works reasonably well. It sometimes indicates a full bin when it really isn't, but so far hasn't failed to indicate when it really is full. Biggest issue for me is seeing the flashing light when engrossed in planing or whatever. I solved that by adding a relay and placing multiple flashing lights all over the shop. So far so good.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

There is a sticky thread on the home built version at the top of this section of the forum. I think that one is similar to the Oneida Air dust bin sensor. Another one that I do not know how well it works is the Grit Automation sensor. Information at https://www.grit-automation.com/docs/dust_bin.pdf.

Blog Entries
    I am using one and have been happy with it so far. I've only had it in operation for about 3-4 months but no issues with it and it works fine in my setup. I will take a pic of it tomorrow and post it here.

I have an Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL connected to a 2 hp Grizzly blower which deposits the sawdust in a metal 30 gallon trash can.

It is compact and the LED level indication has worked fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Walton View Post
    There is a sticky thread on the home built version at the top of this section of the forum. I think that one is similar to the Oneida Air dust bin sensor. Another one that I do not know how well it works is the Grit Automation sensor. Information at https://www.grit-automation.com/docs/dust_bin.pdf.
    I'm not sure if the Grit Automation sensor works without their hub. It might very well, or be easily modifiable, but all the rest of their components work via their hub (which is great, but I'm not sure what you're looking for). Their ad says that it works with their hub.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Ouch. Glad I asked. By chance did you come up with an alternative?

Thanks!
    I wish that I could say yes. Back to the sneaker net.

Regarding the DIY solutions, I was hoping to avoid home growing a solution, it's not my strength. But if there was a straight forward kit with instructions, then maybe.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Regarding the DIY solutions, I was hoping to avoid home growing a solution, it's not my strength. But if there was a straight forward kit with instructions, then maybe.
    I think the dust bin sensors I have seen marketed to 'wood shop' users are all photo-optical sensors of some kind: through-beam, retro-reflective, etc. The iVac certainly looks to be a retro-reflective style (tho' I have no hands-on time with it) - - the single unit transmits a IR beam, and when the reflected* light from the dust reaches the receiver limit, it closes the alarm circuit.

I have used all of the iterations in industrial environments 'several' times. Vendors swear they will detect anything from granite to calcium propionate! All of them suffer from the same affliction: when the receiver gets sufficiently coated with or scratched by the material, it quits working. The cheaper units may also fill with dust. Same outcome.

Best solutions for sawdust involve a paddle wheel sensor or a vibratory sensor. Both links are just examples - not recommendations or best price/options. They ARE more expensive and would entail home grown solutions (sorry). Cry once?

* - Even changes in the color of the material to be sensed can impact performance; maple dust will trigger well before b.walnut? Its also possible that a clean, shiny drum bottom (or storage bin, in my case) can reflect enough to cause a false full trigger..?? Been there. Cursed that.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 08-09-2022 at 5:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I think the dust bin sensors I have seen marketed to 'wood shop' users are all photo-optical sensors of some kind: through-beam, retro-reflective, etc. The iVac certainly looks to be a retro-reflective style (tho' I have no hands-on time with it) - - the single unit transmits a IR beam, and when the reflected* light from the dust reaches the receiver limit, it closes the alarm circuit.

I have used all of the iterations in industrial environments 'several' times. Vendors swear they will detect anything from granite to calcium propionate! All of them suffer from the same affliction: when the receiver gets sufficiently coated with or scratched by the material, it quits working. The cheaper units may also fill with dust. Same outcome.

Best solutions for sawdust involve a paddle wheel sensor or a vibratory sensor. Both links are just examples - not recommendations or best price/options. They ARE more expensive and would entail home grown solutions (sorry). Cry once?

* - Even changes in the color of the material to be sensed can impact performance; maple dust will trigger well before b.walnut? Its also possible that a clean, shiny drum bottom (or storage bin, in my case) can reflect enough to cause a false full trigger..?? Been there. Cursed that.
    My experience is the same especially with a cyclone. We have made several different types and all had the same issue, they work initially but eventually fail due to dust build up on the sensor.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    326E55FA-4DA0-4E10-BE94-7DB064DD9217.jpg

This is my setup with it and no issues.

The sensor is a retro reflective photo sensor and definitely an ultrasonic or physical limit type sensor would seem more suited for the application. The iVac sensor seems well sealed and I have simply wiped it off each time I empty the bin.

My experience with it so far is very positive. It’s only been 4-5 months. So time will tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    ....have been happy with it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    .... I tossed it in the trash.

So, we're tied 1-1.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    This is my setup with it and no issues....
    Thanks for the pic Eric. I had thought a few times of putting a separator in front of the DC. Seeing how you have set yours up, I think I can accomplish that. So, as is usual with any project of mine, the scope just creeped up.
    Brian