Thread: Burnt wood & Epoxy sign

Burnt wood & Epoxy sign

I am planning a sign for my buddies business. He asked for it to be black background gold lettering. My plan is to spice it up a little and do a deep burned softwood then carve and pour epoxy in lettering. My question is what is my order of operations here. I believe its as follows but im not sure if theres a better way.

Cut wood to size, burn it, thin coat epoxy, table top epoxy it, flip and flatten backside, seal backside with an outdoor finish, put on cnc and carve, slightly under pour colored epoxy in lettering, reapply table top on entire project.

Your process seems reasonable.

Do note that wood signs do not last very long...pro signmakers most often use composite materials these days and faux paint them when a wood look is required.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim that makes sense. Maybe Ill have to bang out 2 of these and make the 1 I described for inside.

If you can source something like western red cedar, you have a chance of it lasting a little longer. Or white oak. But in general...for longevity in signs, non-wood composites are the bee's knees. You may need to repaint/finish at some point, but the actual sign will not degrade like wood will.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...