Thread: Carriage Bolts

Carriage Bolts

I needed some 5-6" carriage bolts for a project. I went to HomeDepot and Ace Hardware and was shocked at the price. I know things have gone up but wow. Anyway, I was in Tractor Supply and checked the prices. The price was $3.19 per pound. You just take what you need and can mix them up and they weigh them up at the cash register. I got what I needed much cheaper than Ace or HomeDepot.

We have a farm supply store that sells fasteners by the pound. In my shop, I have bags of different sizes and lengths. For a project with my generator, I needed to add an oil fill to opposite side of the engine, which would also need to be a dip stick. B&S oil plugs fit 3/4-16 threads, so a nut would work perfect. HD, about $2.00 for single nut, but at farm supply $2.99 a pound. Used pipe fittings, and brazed a nut to one side of a tee to make it.

Yea, that's one thing I really like about buying fasteners at Tractor Supply. (assuming they have what I want) Even the higher grade bolts are priced the same way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I was very happy to find the prices of hardware so reasonable at the Tractor Supply and the Wilco stores that opened a few years ago.

One time at the Wilco store the had peat moss on sale at 3 cubic feet for $10 if my memory is working. I took out my tape measure and demonstrated to the manager the bail was only 2 cubic feet. She gave me a store coupon for $10 so the third bail would make up for it.

They also carry some of the odd thread hardware the others do not carry like 6-40 and 1/4-28.

They also carry 5/8" carriage bolts that no body around here carried before the came to town. When some of those were needed in my shop they had to be mail ordered.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-08-2022 at 10:57 AM. Reason: They also carry…
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was just at Home Depot looking for some stainless button cap screws. Two for $2.69 I think. I decided to look elsewhere and they were about half the price at Menards. A hardware store might have been less, but any savings would be spent on gas.

I needed some 5/8" x 9" galvanized ones last week. I didn't spend any time shopping for them longer than typing in the Amazon search window. I think it was $60 for 25. They were on our deck in two days. I might have been able to save some money by putting time, and gas into it, but I can do other things with time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I needed some 5/8" x 9" galvanized ones last week. I didn't spend any time shopping for them longer than typing in the Amazon search window. I think it was $60 for 25. They were on our deck in two days. I might have been able to save some money by putting time, and gas into it, but I can do other things with time.
    Thinking you could have searched for them at the FarmStore or Tractor Supply lead me on a wild goose chase that led me to realize you may have found them quicker on Amazon.

The search engine at Wilco Farm Store didn't seem to know the difference between a carriage bolt and wire cutters.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Another possible option for fasteners if available in your area: about 10 miles from me is a metals recycling place. I get lots of chunks, sheet, and rods there. You never know what they are going to have. (Once we found 10' lengths of thin-wall 1/2" titanium tubing for about $5 each. The tubing was new - looked them up and these originally sold for something like $200 each.)

But they put all bolts, screws, and such in a semi trailer lined with bins and shelves. Someone has organized them in metal type (brass, steel, stainless, etc) and type - big bolts, screws, etc. I've found bolts 1"+ diameter and a huge variety of smaller bolts, machine screws, and special fasteners. And all prices are by weight, and like their other metals, just a little above scrap prices. There no no lights inside so I take a flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Another possible option for fasteners if available in your area: about 10 miles from me is a metals recycling place. I get lots of chunks, sheet, and rods there. You never know what they are going to have. (Once we found 10' lengths of thin-wall 1/2" titanium tubing for about $5 each. The tubing was new - looked them up and these originally sold for something like $200 each.)

But they put all bolts, screws, and such in a semi trailer lined with bins and shelves. Someone has organized them in metal type (brass, steel, stainless, etc) and type - big bolts, screws, etc. I've found bolts 1"+ diameter and a huge variety of smaller bolts, machine screws, and special fasteners. And all prices are by weight, and like their other metals, just a little above scrap prices. There no no lights inside so I take a flashlight.
    Noble Metals on Warehouse Road? My old house was near there. Their operation was really noisy. They woke us up at 5:30 or 6:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Noble Metals on Warehouse Road? My old house was near there. Their operation was really noisy. They woke us up at 5:30 or 6:00.
    Your place now seems more peaceful!

Yes, Noble Metals. I’ve found some great metal for machining, a box of stainless steel and totanium medical instruments (hemostats, tiny scissors, tools and supplies for bone and more, much of it new. A great find was large sheets of 1” thick white and fire resistant green HDPE. Excellent for jigs and more, machines well. Occasionally I find some nice brass and bronze. I made this tool handle with a brass insert for tools with 5/8" diameter shafts.

Handle_roughing_IMG_5964.jpg

From a chunk of bronze I made this branding iron for a friend with a sheep farm.

brand_composite_1.jpg brand_composite_3.jpg brand_composite_4.jpg

JKJ