Thread: Rust removal on my pickling jars?

Rust removal on my pickling jars?

Here’s one I’ve never seen addressed.
    After a hiatus of 2 years, we’re ready to put up our kosher dills. Brine mixture, guaranteed to raise blood pressure, and a good brisket….. here for a good time maybe not a long time.
    Anyway, the brine solution obviously erodes the metal caps and rings. The cukes are sealed, but I’d prefer to eliminate the rust on the threads before we start populating the jars. Besides, the rings will seal better.
    I’ve tried CLR, even used a detail paint scraper, but I still have rust on the jars.
    Naturally I boil the jars heavily to sanitize them and wash them first to eliminate any pollutants, so I don’t mind using chemicals.
    Any idea what to use?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Unless your time and materials are free, you might consider new caps and rings:

https://www.amazon.com/Canning-Regular-Split-Type-Reusable-Silicone/dp/B08PV4WZCT

9 bucks for 20, and it might provide a bit more peace of mind about potentially ruining some of your wonderful produce...

Good luck! There's just nothing like home-canned produce!

Phosphoric acid has been working for me to remove rust from our steel-hulled houseboat.

Strong- like 30% strength- muriatic acid should work too. (lesser strength may work okay too)

Not sure about phosphoric acid but I know (the hard way) that muriatic acid will darken some grades of stainless steel...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    We discard the rusty rings and never reuse the lids. For the cost of new ones versus the labor to put up the contents, we don't feel it is worth the risk to reuse rusty rings. It helps if you carefully remove the rings a few weeks after the jars have been seal and give them a good rinsing and air drying, before putting them in a sealed bag.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I’ve tried CLR, even used a detail paint scraper, but I still have rust on the jars.
    My read on this is the rust is stains on the glass jars.

Most large grocery stores carry cleaning strength vinegar in the cleaning supply aisle. An overnight soak in some of this should do the trick.

Many of us have used it to remove rust from old tools.

After that just wash the jars well.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was just going to mention white vinegar. It's mildly acidic but very safe for the application.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

try using a cerium oxide glass polishing compound and a green scrubby.....we're talking about rust stains on the glass jars-right?

Citric Acid, available from Amazon also works.

Yes, on the glass only. I would NEVER (shiudder) re-use rusty caps and rings.
    I'll try vinegar. Thanks
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Araron,... I'm an amateur pickle enthusiast ...I've double Mrs Wages Kosher Dill Pickling Mix and I'm still not satisfied with it. Would you mind walking us through your Brine mixture....just for kix-- "guaranteed to raise blood pressure"

F213E593-155D-423E-B664-AB8C39227EFF_1_201_a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I was just going to mention white vinegar. It's mildly acidic but very safe for the application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Yes, on the glass only. I would NEVER (shiudder) re-use rusty caps and rings.
    I'll try vinegar. Thanks
    I didn't think about high % vinegar; HD carries this stuff--
    30vin.jpg
    If that's a bit much, Walmart and others carry 6% cleaning vinegar, which is 20% stronger than basic 5%--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    If that's a bit much, Walmart and others carry 6% cleaning vinegar, which is 20% stronger than basic 5%--
    The 30% is a concentrate. That would likely make a lot more than most people would use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I haven't had this problem yet. Just started canning summer 2022. I would be inclined to set up my cauldron with whatever tap water, immerse all possible jars, and a good splash of vinegar. I would start with regular distilled white 5% vinegar, about a cup per gallon of water in the cauldron. Leave that overnight, and maybe bring it to a boil in the morning if more processing is needed.

Were these jars stored with the rings on? Are these pickles the kind where you need to leave the bands on? I haven't yet fooled with fermenting and pickling, I am just doing water bath and pressure canning so far.

I have my grandma's recipe for dills where she would pack cold cucumber into room temperature jars, pour in boiling brine, then lid and cellar immediately. She left her bands on those, and they did get rusty. I was never with her when she cleaned those jars, but all she had under the kitchen sink was 5% vinegar in a big jug, dish soap, SOS pads and ammonia. She did apply a lot of elbow grease to many things in life.

It seems to me if the jar rim is clean and you are using new lids, the threads on the jar and the bands are just a nuisance.

Jim, here’s how I make our brine pickles.
    Naturally, farm fresh cukes. I get them
    home and begin the cleaning process. Running water hand scrubbing etc.
    I make the brine mixture of 16:1 water to course pickling salt (but sometimes a tad heavy on the salt). We use cold water for the mix.
    Commercial pickling spice - wife adds that, about 2 tablespoons to a 1 1/2 litre jar. A sprig of dill weed a slit of fresh horseradish shoot, and one clove of garlic optional.
    The jars are hand washed and then boiled for about 5 minutes; she stuffs cukes in and I pour the still cold water into the jars.
    I normally boil the lids for a few seconds to clear any manufactured contaminate and LIGHTLY seal the jars. We keep the jars in sight in the kitchen for a week and add brine mix as needed to cover the pickles. Then they go into the basement for maturing.

EDTA and water . Soak them in it completely submerged. Safe enough to eat. Will not damage paint. Will not over react and damage the good iron. Can be soaked for weeks with no damage. EDTA will neutralize its weight in water. It is basically the generic version of evaporust.
    Bill D