Thread: New Triton fixed base router

New Triton fixed base router

I don't recall seeing any mention of this before receiving a Rockler catalog. I'm guessing I received the catalog because I'm within a reasonable distance of a new Rockler store in Moorestown NJ. 3.25 HP fixed base D handle. Lots of people like D handle routers but this is the first one I can recall that would seem like a viable replacement for the Porter Cable 7518. At this time it looks like Rockler is the only source and not available until the first part of October.

https://www.rockler.com/triton-tfbr0...ase-router-kit

I'm not surprised they are addressing this segment of the market. This is not the only new router they are introducing currently, either. There's a new, beefier version of the big plunger and a small one, too, if I'm not mistaken.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Glad to see an offering in this segment.

But, I think their designers fell asleep at the wheel, if there were any designers. It's got looks only a mother could love.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was built in the same factory as the bora and powertech...

Since Porter-Cable stopped producing them, smaller companies are picking up the slack. I sure hope the new ones have a better processor in them. The old PC would not hold constant rpm and was very slow to hold the speed under load. I cut some raised panels with mine and it would loose a fair amount of rpm at the start of the cut and then overspeed at the end of the cut. Especially on end grain!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Since Porter-Cable stopped producing them, smaller companies are picking up the slack. I sure hope the new ones have a better processor in them. The old PC would not hold constant rpm and was very slow to hold the speed under load. I cut some raised panels with mine and it would loose a fair amount of rpm at the start of the cut and then overspeed at the end of the cut. Especially on end grain!
    Porter Cable did seem to have their issues with soft start and variable speed. I have a P-C 8529 (I think that's the model) where the soft start variable speed module failed. I removed the module so now it's single speed unless I plug it into an external variable speed controller. Luckily the power switch is separate on those. I did read that in some cases the problem was bad capacitors on the little circuit board, another part of the bad caps on computer motherboards plague. The fix cost $1 and some time with a soldering iron but of course I had thrown my controller out by the time I read about the fix.