Thread: State tax board lost my check

State tax board lost my check

I made some estimated tax payments to state and federal for 2021. The state of California cashed them but did not credit me for 2,500 in April. They sent one letter asking for payment then another letter today. They still have not figured out they cashed the check even though I gave them the date and the amount.
    I responded to the first letter with copies of the missing check and an explanation why I do not owe penalties for late payments.
    Sent another copy of the letter and more copies of all the checks today. I can not go online since we moved since the 2021 taxes were filed. Waited four hours on the phone with no response last time. They are threatening collections.
    Can the bank cancel payment and I can resend the check after 16 months?
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I would take/send copies of the bank statements and the canceled checks to the tax office, perhaps through your local state representative's office. You may need to ask your bank for certified copies of your bank statements and canceled checks. They can often solve problems that are impossible to solve through the mail. The other option would be to drive from Modesto to Sacramento and deal with them in person.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    The other option would be to drive from Modesto to Sacramento and deal with them in person.
    There may be an office of the California Franchise Tax Board closer to you. (that was the name of the office last time I had to deal with them in person)

Check here > https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/office-locations.htm

They can be a real pain when trying to resolve an issue. It is like each person is an individual entity on to their own out for their own purpose.

Most recently as a resident of Washington with some income from California they sent me a letter stating I owed them some tax money. It was a small amount. About two months later they sent me a much bigger check saying I didn't owe them money and there were taxes paid in error. Bureaucracies can really mess up at times.

It sounds like you do not have an accountant or tax preparer.

Hopefully you do not have to hire a lawyer. You may be able to find an advocate through your financial institution(s).

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-07-2022 at 9:44 AM. Reason: Most recently as a…
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't forget that your last option in any dealings with State government is your State Representative. They can blow though doors that are closed shut if they want to help you. Your Congressional Representative can help with problems you might have with any Federal Government agency.

It's their job to help you and most of the time they will do whatever it takes as long as you can prove that you are right.

I agree with going to your local state representative's office to get assistance with this, no matter what state one might live in. That's part of their job...constituent services. I have done that, admittedly for less important things with a state/commonwealth focus...but many, many years did the same with a senator's office at the Federal level for a tax matter than just wasn't getting resolved. It got resolved.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just remembered that I did the taxes with turbo tax and they have some kind of guarantee. I will look into that.
    BillD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I just remembered that I did the taxes with turbo tax and they have some kind of guarantee. I will look into that.
    BillD
    The only guarantee they have with regard to payments is that the amounts are correct, but obviously they have no control over you sending the checks (or providing the correct account/routing numbers) or FTB processing them correctly.

One long shot is that (IIRC) they have multiple processing centers. You mentioned a move: is it possible the checks went to the wrong one?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    They may not be the ones to take care of it but they may have knowledge of how to rectify the situation. They might be worth contacting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

After trying to contact the state tax board, the next step should be a state government ombudsman if you have such a thing. If not your state representative or a TV government reporter who is looking to embarrass the government. As a tax payer I would be royally PO'd even if not my check. The fact that their book keeping is so sloppy should raise eyebrows of voters. Lastly, I am beginning to understand why some countries have done away with checks. I heard that they have been obsolete in New Zealand for almost 20 yrs. No "check is in the mail" BS. No lost or stolen checks,,,,.less time consuming processing for the banks.