Thread: Anyone know of a removable handrail system?

Anyone know of a removable handrail system?

I've been asked to install a new handrail on a very narrow set of stairs in an old house. The owner wants the handrail to be removable so they can bring bedding, etc. up/down the stairs. My first thought was to use standard handrail brackets and just tell them to unscrew them from the wall when they need to remove it. But then I started wondering if someone actually makes a bracket, etc. that can be easily removed.

Anyone know of such a system or have any ideas? Thanks.

John

With the modern rules about how the rail must be secured so that fire hoses and stuff won’t be slowed down ,or tied up, I don’t think it’s a
    good idea. I’m guessing that what they really need is some really sturdy beds with hooks over them for supplies.

A option is to put some kind of threaded inset into support structure on the wall, and use bolts to fasten brackets in place.

Beneath each bracket attach a wooden plate to the wall with some four prong T-nuts to which the brackets get bolted. To remove railing/bracket you simply remove the bolts, only the plates remain on the wall.

I’d go with something like Bruce suggested.

How about using bed rail connectors? Of course, you'd have to get it by the inspector ...
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Beneath each bracket attach a wooden plate to the wall with some four prong T-nuts to which the brackets get bolted. To remove railing/bracket you simply remove the bolts, only the plates remain on the wall.
    This idea should work well since I need to add wood plates behind the brackets anyway to space out the handrail beyond the window casing part way up the staircase. Thanks very much.

John