Thread: Amazon Fire TV.

Amazon Fire TV.

We won a TV in a Raffle.

It is an Amazon Fire, 55" smart TV, with Alexa interface.

Just curious if anyone know who makes it for Amazon?

The good news is that I get to put it in my shop. Whoopie! Now I can watch You Tube videos anytime.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

"Tom's Guide" says Pioneer and Toshiba mfr for Amazon- who makes yours, not sure
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

According to this article they are made by Foxconn Technology group who also builds the Fire Stick for Amazon.

https://everything4k.com/who-makes-amazon-fire-tv/

I don't know who makes them, but they're pretty good for the cost. We have some in bedrooms of a rental house, and they look fine.

I’ve had 2. Both Toshibas out of the large blue themed big box electronics store.
    The first one, damaged by a flying object aimed at the screen.
    The second, (and subject of numerous forum posts) died when the tuner finally succumbed to its inevitable death.
    You won it, so at least that’s a benefit.
    I bought a Samsung.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    I’ve had 2. Both Toshibas out of the large blue themed big box electronics store.
    The first one, damaged by a flying object aimed at the screen.
    The second, (and subject of numerous forum posts) died when the tuner finally succumbed to its inevitable death.
    You won it, so at least that’s a benefit.
    I bought a Samsung.
    These aren't the same as the previous Fire TV integration that was incorporated in other brands. This one is an Amazon Fire TV sold exclusively by Amazon.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-enter...xa-hands-free/

I have a Toshiba one we’ve had for a few years and it’s been great. It was cheap too.

I will report on how good or bad it is after I have time to get it installed. I need to make more space, as it will replace a 32" that is currently in my shop 'office' mancave.

What I am excited about is that it is voice activated, and that will be a lot better than me trying to access youtube with the old TV remote.

I am sure it will be an improvement, and after all it only cost me a couple raffle tickets, that I suspect my daughter paid for anyway.

We have a voice activated TV in the house, and it is like night and day compared to trying to type on a little remote with fat fingers.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I picked up a Fire TV Cube when Amazon had them on sale during their "Amazon Days" sale. The cube has the built in Alexia which I do not believe the sticks have. I like the general interface better than my my ROKU which I gave to my daughter. So far a Fire Cube has been a lot more reliable than the ROKU but the ROKU's don't seem to develop problems until they are a year or so old. The Fire Cube is also faster which is noticeable in the interface.

The voice commands will load a application but does not integrate with any of the applications I use (PLEX, Pluto, FreeVee, etc.). So as soon as the app loads the voice control is no longer useable. I can't even use the voice control to change channels in the apps.

I bought the Cube TV with the intention of integrating it with my Home Assistant home control system. Getting the two to talk with each other is pretty painful and I gave up saving it for another day when I don't have anything to do.

As far a TV ratings I put VERY little weight in their reviews. I am not a "videophile" so my the picture on my new Samsung 85" in the living room looks identical to my old 65" Vizio in my bedroom. Both have mat finish screens which one of my main "must haves" in a TV so neither of them have bad reflections. The whole QLED on the Samsung is just a marketing gimmick as the two 4K TV's look to have an identical picture to me. The whole "HDR" is also just a marketing gimmick to get people to upgrade their sets. I do believe that Samsung does make a more reliable TV than Vizio. The power supply on my Vizio went out when it was only a couple of years old and I tore it apart to replace a couple of capacitors on the power supply boards with some quality capacitors instead of the cheapest ones available like the factory favors.

I documented the Vizio TV repair here if anyone is interested: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...35#post-943955

My mother and two of my sisters bought the same Toshiba TV's several years ago. All 3 were dead within 3 years.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 08-09-2022 at 2:41 PM.