Thread: Using Dust Deputy for Benchtop Sand Blaster

Using Dust Deputy for Benchtop Sand Blaster

I purchased a benchtop Grizzly sand blaster a few months ago, and now getting ready to use it. I have a number of Anderson outdoor door levers that are badly weathered, and considering they are charging >$100 per set, buying this $150 sandblaster seemed to be a no-brainer.

I was planning to connect it to my Shop-Vac wet-dry vacuum that has a Oneida Dust Deputy already on it. As I would like to reuse the blasting powder that is sucked into it, can I just place a thick garbage bag in the bottom of it to collect the powder, or will that get sucked up into the Dust Deputy? I know you need something in a regular cyclone, so wondering if that it the case here.

The Dust Deputy presently sits on top of a 5 gallon plastic barrel.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 08-06-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

All of the cabinet sand blasters that I know of are self contained and recycle the blasting media internally until it's sharp edges are all chipped away. Then the media is dumped and a new quantity is installed. It sounds by price that you are considering a Harbor Freight sand blasting cabinet. These, and other similar versions, work this way and you only need a shop vac with maybe a Dust Deputy for collecting the dust and media that escapes the cabinet.

Open sand blasters need to be used outdoors and do not recycle the media, so frequently just finely sifted sand gets used for the media and it's only used one time.

In either case, stray media tends to get everywhere and having a shop vac with a Dust Deputy separator ahead of it in the vacuum line will allow collecting the media without quickly plugging the paper filter in the shop vac.

Also, consider the need for a large air compressor to do sand blasting, or at least an additional large tank to hold more compressed air. Sand blasting uses a lot of compressed air fast. If your air compressor isn't capable of at least 10 scfm at 100 psi, you are going to need a larger one. Mine is a 5 hp 14.5 cfm at 100 psi with 80 gallon tank and I can sometimes get ahead of the compressor and have to wait a bit for the pressure to recover when sand blasting.

A 15 amp 20 gallon air compressor will not be able to supply 100 psi air pressure for very long when the sand blasting process is using 3-5 times as much air volume as these little air compressors can supply. A second large tank of 60-100 gallon size will give you more reserve pressurized air for more minutes of sand blasting, but then you will need to wait longer for the little compressor to again reach the 100 + psi needed for sand blasting.

Once you have a good source of 10 cfm high volume compressed air at 100 psi or above you are going to discover that moisture in the compressed air is causing the media lines and nozzle to plug because of this moisture getting mixed with the media, so you are going to need to take drastic measures to separate the condensed moisture in the air compressor system from getting to the sand blasting equipment. This usually results in a refrigerated compressed air dryer large enough to handle 10 cfm at 100 psi +. There are good filters to separate moisture. The one that I use is called a "Toilet Paper Filter", because it uses a roll of paper similar to toilet paper to absorb and hold the moisture. Auto paint supply shops have these. I now use both a refrigerated dryer as well as one of these filters when sand blasting.

I don't want to discourage you, just warn you, that you are going to need more than a sand blasting cabinet to do sand blasting, the least of which is going to be a Dust Deputy and a shop vac.

Charley

Charley:

Thanks for the considerate response. Huge amount of information there. I already have the sandblaster. Purchased months ago. Yes, the vacuum line is there just to increase visibility from airborne media. Most does just fall to the bottom of the device for re-use.

I do have a fairly large air compressor, and this will be short sessions just blasting the door levers. I can certainly wait for the compressor tank to recharge if necessary. The specs actually call for you to reduce the air pressure to 60psi, which is a piece of cake for my system.

Still wondering if I can use that garbage bag in the 5 gallon drum for the Dust Deputy. I certainly don't need to. I just cleaned out the bucket, so the media that goes in there should be clean, but I just thought it would be much easier with a bag.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I use a woodworking dust collector 1 or 2 HP with blast gates to control reduce flow and blow it in the back yard. There are 5000 times as much dust from the thing called progress as they turn the 150 acre farm beside us into a subdivision. Scoundrels.

Are you farming the land adjacent to the 150 acre farm or did you buy a site in the middle of ag country?

outskirt of a small town fields around me farm 300 feet away. City green belt frozen the big developers then moved up north of highway 9. A huge company we all know all over canada and US the kids bought up im told 50 plus farms up all around me. Said land banking this done years ago. Ive not farmed but know the family well and the one lady left now still is able to farm as the homes are on the front of the land 156 homes for now

Argh to say the least. Lost sunsets first then now will loose sunrises. More traffic and and it was just about like the cottage when I moved here.

Charley, ty for that detailed response.
    I often thought about buying a sandblaster module....but feared all the added accessories required...
    your post brought it to light....
    not just cost, but space is always the issue for many of us. Will put this idea on the back-burner for now