Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poplar

When I wrote “green poplar “ I meant the dark green ,it’s heart wood and I repeat , it’s better for exterior work than a lot of fir. Fir costs
    more so many shop owners don’t want any of it thrown out. To be more specific they insist on using it ALL and the sapwood is worthless
    outdoors. Yes some of us have worked for shop owner who saw employee ripping sap edge off and discarding it and said “ Ah pade for ALL
    THAT WOOD an Ah want AWL OB It YOUSD ! “
    “ Okay Pal , I’m packing up right now “. Plenty of good jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Also all the green and some purple streaks all turn some shade of brown or tan when exposed to UV light.
    Only some trees get the mineral staining. Only one tree of the dozen or so milled on my property had even a hint of the mineral staining. But yes, it generally turns color with UV and oxidation. When I do have a piece that's "highly highlighted" I try to keep it for when the special effect can be, um...effective.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Used a lot of poplar completing this ☺
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Used a lot of poplar completing this ☺
    Always love seeing your intarsia Dennis! (IIRC, you posted this one before.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Always love seeing your intarsia Dennis! (IIRC, you posted this one before.)
    I know, I was just trying to be funny, as I know it really has nothing to do with the intent of this thread
    Dennis