Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Attack

Ha! Texas is insane when it comes to guns.

A VP I work for carries some type of pepper spray when she goes jogging now since a pitbull mauled her small dog. Might be a better solution for some than a firearm.

Yeah, making a kill shot on a fast moving dog while missing the person or pet he's attacking (especially if that's the gun holder) is a low probability thing. Bear spray seems like a better option.

I had heard about this and it actually just popped up in a video. A dog can be made to stop attacking by sticking your finger where the sun dont shine. This would only help if he was already on you and or on someone else. I believe its a dominence thing. I had a roommate once with a male english that had to be flipped onto his back everyfew weeks to prove he wasnt the dominent one. he would start acting up, start becoming bolder.

Yep, agreed. I'll ask her what brand it is. I know she's sprayed several dogs in the past few years. All were deterred. She's like 100lbs soaking wet so she doesn't screw around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Interesting stats Mark. Here is a link to a heart breaking story that happened a couple hours away. It refutes the people who claim a pitbull is fine if raised "right". The nature and DNA them is to be aggressive. Yes there are plenty that don't attack anyone but there are to many that do.

https://www.daxtonsfriends.com/kara-...nois-pit-bull/

There is such a thing as temperament that cannot be completely trained away.
    < insert spurious quote here >

As a parent of small children, I don’t take chances with any dog I don’t know. To many careless owners who view their pet as their child and don’t properly train them. It only takes one bad lunge to leave life altering scars on a child.

I remember going on a day hike with my father when I was 10 and asking him what happens if we come across a bear. His reply - “that’s why we brought a dog” implying that we would run while the bear dealt with the family dog.

That was painful to read.

I have no experience with pitbulls, I have had lots of other dogs in my family from Maltese, Pekingese, labs, Boston Terries, Bulldogs, Boxers, German Shepherds and Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Big dogs can do damage for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Interesting stats Mark. Here is a link to a heart breaking story that happened a couple hours away. It refutes the people who claim a pitbull is fine if raised "right". The nature and DNA them is to be aggressive. Yes there are plenty that don't attack anyone but there are to many that do.

https://www.daxtonsfriends.com/kara-...nois-pit-bull/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    I have no experience with pitbulls, I have had lots of other dogs in my family from Maltese, Pekingese, labs, Boston Terries, Bulldogs, Boxers, German Shepherds and Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Big dogs can do damage for sure.
    My experience is that the little ones are way more likely to bite, way less likely to do major damage. Reverse for big dogs.

(Kind of like motorcycles: almost certain to get some kind of injury riding dirt, but unlikely to die. Reverse for street.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Some great laughs in this thread! I only was approached 1 time by a dog while on my bike, I used the bike and hit the dog twice and it left.

This thread brought up a story of on old neighbor, they had a wolf hybrid, there kids were playing on the driveway when the neighbors German Shepard got loose. The wolf was staring at the GS down the street, as soon as it started heading towards the kids, the wolf broke through the screen door and right as the GS got to the driveway, the wolf grabbed the GS by the throat and took it to the ground. At the time I thought it was 1 of the coolest things I have seen.

My brother owned a Great Dane, named it Beckett and took it everywhere with him, he even used to take it out to the nightclub. Once he left the dog sat in the passenger seat "guarding" his idling car when he had to run into a store to get something, when he came out of the store he car was gone from where he had left it, apparently he had left the car blocking some ones driveway, and that person hopped in my brothers car and moved it down the road...with the Great Dane sat in the passenger seat! haha.

Dirt bike ride myself, back in the day. 1973 Yamaha SC500

Both my brother and me were attacked by German Shephard dogs a long time ago.

My brother went to a junkyard on a weekend and it was closed, he was looking for some car part that he needed he didn't want to wait till Monday when the junkyard would be open, so he hopped the fence, and promptly got attacked by the guard dog. He got tore up quite a bit before the watchman heard the noise and came running to pull the dog off him. My brother said that he tried to kick the dog but every time the dog evaded the kicks and shot back in to attack, the dog got him down on the ground and chewed on him a good bit before he got rescued. He was bloodied up a bit when he got back home.

I got attacked one night going to the circus. I lived outside a small village, and when the circus came to town I decided to go. I had to walk a long way to get there, so I cut across the fields to the back of the fairgrounds to save walking all around the road to the entrance, It was nighttime and quite dark in the field, tractor trailers were parked around the perimeter of the event and I cut between two.........when I heard a low rumbling and saw two lights glaring at me... took me a second or two to realize that it was a dog and it was growling, at which point I went into flight mode and spun around to run, but the dog leaped and sunk its teeth into my thigh and took me down to the ground, lucky for me the dog was chained on and i managed to drag myself free. I had some damage, but nothing too serious.

This thread is bringing back lots of memories from my youth.

I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback and we used to go roaming the countryside together. The ridgeback is a pretty serious dog and could be a handful if it chose to be so. He was used to being the boss. Once we were walking a country road past some fields, and the dog took off hopped the fence and raced across the field after a huge pig.....big mistake! the pig didn't run away liked everything else that he had chased before, but turned and chased the dog, my dog was not used to being the one that was running away, in a complete panic he ran into the fence twice as the pig closed in, with me screaming at him to jump, he managed to gather his wits and to get over the fence before the pig got to him. He barely escaped, and my guess is the pig would have probably killed him if it caught him.

[QUOTE=Mark Hennebury;3208035]My brother owned a Great Dane, named it Beckett and took it everywhere with him, he even used to take it out to the nightclub. Once he left the dog sat in the passenger seat "guarding" his idling car when he had to run into a store to get something, when he came out of the store he car was gone from where he had left it, apparently he had left the car blocking some ones driveway, and that person hopped in my brothers car and moved it down the road...with the Great Dane sat in the passenger seat!

Yes, dogs are good guardians. But they all love car rides, and will sometimes engage a kind stranger as temp chauffeur…..after carefully
    sniffing them for too recent showers ; and there is always the possibility that they will ….find dog -treats.