Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dog Attack

My first dog, in my early 20's, was the nicest, friendliest German Shepherd ever! She would never hurt a fly and loved everyone!

When I was moving from Texas back to Oregon I stopped at a store to pick up some snacks and left her in the Uhaul truck. I gave an old guy a bag of grep on my way out of the store. As soon as I sat down in the truck and closed the door 3 beggars came up to the truck looking for handouts. I slightly tensed from the surprise and my German Shepherd was up, off the floor of the passengers side foot well, standing over the top of me on the seat and trying to rip some ones head off through the two inches of driver side window I left open for her in what seemed like way under a second. I wasn't even aware that she was moving until her belly was in my face. I was even more stunned that Heidi was so protective and so FAST but not nearly as stunned as the beggars were! They turned around and left rather hastily.

My current German Shepherd is even sweeter than my first one. I know what a German Shepherd is capable of when activated and keep her under control in all situations like a responsible dog owner should. Right now she is laying on my feet keeping my toes warm.

My daughter took this picture of her by the garage door waiting patiently for her daddy to get home!
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 08-09-2022 at 3:08 PM.

Dirt bike ride myself, back in the day. 1973 Yamaha SC500[/QUOTE]

My last dirt bike was a Yamaha 1975 MX400. It was a fun ride. In it's day it had a lot of power. As I recall the SC500 was a 4 speed wasn't it? They had to make the gears beefier to handle the power and as a resulting extra width it was only a 4 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    As a parent of small children, I don’t take chances with any dog I don’t know. To many careless owners who view their pet as their child and don’t properly train them. It only takes one bad lunge to leave life altering scars on a child.
    A few weekends ago I was walking my German Shepherd on a retractable leash at a camp ground when some lady came out of the bathroom right as we were passing it. I immediately called my dog to heal, which she did. At that point the lady smiled and thanked me. I could tell she was a little nervous. As a responsible dog owner I never want my dog to impose on anyone else good time. There was never any danger to the lady BUT she should not have to worry about a passing dog hurting her when coming out of a campground bathroom no matter how unfounded the fear.

During the same trip a pug from another campsite, not leashed, came over and decided eat some of my dogs food. That little pug is very lucky to be alive now and the owner brushed it off with "how cute" when she came to retrieve her pug. --not a responsible dog owner in my opinion!

All dogs I have ever know have always been protective of their owners and their food. My leashed German Shepherd didn't lunge at the pug but in my mind she would have had every right to do so. I do not agree with the thinking that "all dogs should be properly leashed -- except my own dog". Those people really tick me off!
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 08-09-2022 at 3:35 PM.

It was a bunch of fun, powerful and tough to handle, could kick back once in a while, that hurt. don't remember if it was a 4 speed. I mucked around and modified the rear suspension for more travel. Fun times. Be interesting to try one out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Dirt bike ride myself, back in the day. 1973 Yamaha SC500
    My last dirt bike was a Yamaha 1975 MX400. It was a fun ride. In it's day it had a lot of power. As I recall the SC500 was a 4 speed wasn't it? They had to make the gears beefier to handle the power and as a resulting extra width it was only a 4 speed.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Mark Hennebury;3208075]It was a bunch of fun, powerful and tough to handle, could kick back once in a while, that hurt. don't remember if it was a 4 speed. I mucked around and modified the rear suspension for more travel. Fun times. Be interesting to try one out again.

The YZ360 and MX400 were both mono-shocks. I don't recall about the SC500. It might have still had 2 shocks. I seem to recall the kick back issue with the 500.

Yamaha-SC500-Motocross2.jpg[QUOTE=Ronald Blue;3208082]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    It was a bunch of fun, powerful and tough to handle, could kick back once in a while, that hurt. don't remember if it was a 4 speed. I mucked around and modified the rear suspension for more travel. Fun times. Be interesting to try one out again.

The YZ360 and MX400 were both mono-shocks. I don't recall about the SC500. It might have still had 2 shocks. I seem to recall the kick back issue with the 500.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I had heard about this and it actually just popped up in a video. A dog can be made to stop attacking by sticking your finger where the sun dont shine. This would only help if he was already on you and or on someone else. I believe its a dominence thing. I had a roommate once with a male english that had to be flipped onto his back everyfew weeks to prove he wasnt the dominent one. he would start acting up, start becoming bolder.
    While that might be one way of fighting, ahem, “dirty,” that’s a tough target under a flood of adrenaline. Most people have never been in a life-or-death fight, and the adrenaline surge will shut down all their fine motor skills—fingers aren’t going to work. Best in a fight are going to be gross movements with fists, feet, arms, legs, and body.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    While that might be one way of fighting, ahem, “dirty,” that’s a tough target under a flood of adrenaline. Most people have never been in a life-or-death fight, and the adrenaline surge will shut down all their fine motor skills—fingers aren’t going to work. Best in a fight are going to be gross movements with fists, feet, arms, legs, and body.
    Fist, foot, knife, gun, all same: aim for center of mass and keep hitting.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

What about grabbing by the collar (if they have one) lifting off front feet and twisting to choke them out?

I had a job once, that required a lot of house to house field work (not sales). We were trained to carry a big 4 D-cell Maglite for thumping dogs, and a large metal or plastic clipboard-case. If attacked we were supposed to put the clipboard in front of the dog's face as it would appear as a much larger object and back away if possible. I often carry a walking stick now (bad knee) and my plan was to jam that down a dogs throat, although now you've given me the idea that it needs to go up the other end.

Our favorite dog was a golden retriever, of which the standing joke was that: if a burglar breaks into your house at night, a GR will go fetch him a flashlight.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 08-10-2022 at 12:35 PM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I have had a lot of dogs, and spent many an hours during my youth fighting and wrestling with dogs, play-fighting is of course not the same as a dog intent on killing you, but does give you some appreciation of how they fight and how hard they can bite.
    Dogs even when playfighting move fast and if they can see what you are throwing their way, can probably avoid it, that's why i suggested using the knee to the dogs chest when it jumps, the dog can't see it, can't stop it, and will get the pain and shock, it may help you, if you have none of the previously mentioned weapons at your disposal. I had a two dogs that I used to take for a walk on choke chains and when they decided to go, me hanging on to the leads and the choke chains squeezing around their necks would not prevent them, dogs have powerful necks, I am not sure if you could grab its collar and choke out an attacking dog. Plenty of graphic videos online if you want to see what a dog attack looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    What about grabbing by the collar (if they have one) lifting off front feet and twisting to choke them out?

I had a job once, that required a lot of house to house field work (not sales). We were trained to carry a big 4 D-cell Maglite for thumping dogs, and a large metal or plastic clipboard-case. If attacked we were supposed to put the clipboard in front of the dog's face as it would appear as a much larger object and back away if possible. I often carry a walking stick now (bad knee) and my plan was to jam that down a dogs throat, although now you've given me the idea that it needs to go up the other end.

Our favorite dog was a golden retriever, of which the standing joke was that: if a burglar breaks into your house at night, a GR will go fetch him a flashlight.