Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Attack

Put some ammonia in a spray bottle. ANY brand will work ….no need to buy the deluxe stuff .

Depends.... on several factors. Big dogs or small dogs. one or more, and how serious are they about killing you.

Little dog; wait till it gets close and punt it into the next world.
    Big dog; wait till it gets close, offer up your left forearm, as it goes for your forearm raise it up high and make the dog jump for it, then knee the dog in the chest. Now is the time to use jujitsu if you have watched any movies, take your shot.
    Multiple dogs; you're pretty much screwed as they work as a team and will encircle you. Your only chance is to get your back up against something so that they can't get behind you. You won't survive, but you may last a little longer.

Either that or take a water hose with you.

I carry pepper spray. It's what mail carriers use.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    ...Multiple dogs; you're pretty much screwed....
    That would be my concern especially walking in the woods or somewhere that you're not dealing with a dog on its front lawn. Dogs like to run in packs. This is the kind of situation that calls for a weapon unless you can climb a tree or sprout wings. "Weapon" could mean bear spray or similar.

I dont know ive seen Tom Cruise take out five guys so it must be possible. Any how about Steven Segal.

Ive been out jogging before and run into coyotes. Im on the edge of a town and its not comforting. I keep looking back for a bit. When I first moved here 35 years ago angry gangs of coyotes were going into farmers fields and stripping cows like Piranha. I remember the article was about farmers asking to be allowed to shoot them.

I have one friend who has an animal sanctuary and rescued many. She has donkeys there and they are really friendly. One day I asked and she said they protect all the other animals and did after an AlPaca had baby if that is what they are called, some other people there saw the donkeys kick the snot out of the coyotes and they took the baby to a safe place before she got home I think in the barn. Who needs a guard dog when you can have a donkey.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    thanks for the tip Bill, ill make sure to carry a garden hose around with me.
    LOL!

It is kind of like the Monty Python self defense trick of dropping a 16 ton weight on them.

One self defense technique against a dog told to me was to ram your fist into their mouth and shove it in as far as you can.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Obviously the garden hose only works if it is in a yard not in the woods somewhere. Unless you work for the fire department, then I would just use the monitor to blast him down the block before they pee on the shiny truck.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    As a teenager I worked for a company the delivered soda(pop) to peoples homes I was taught by an older member of staff that when the dog approached to put the cash bag in his mouth I found this approach very effective on many occasions
    So depending on the circumstances if you have an item of clothing example a coat I would fold the coat and present that to the dogs jaws

Best advice yet. And a nice bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I dont know ive seen Tom Cruise take out five guys so it must be possible. Any how about Steven Segal.

Ive been out jogging before and run into coyotes. Im on the edge of a town and its not comforting. I keep looking back for a bit. When I first moved here 35 years ago angry gangs of coyotes were going into farmers fields and stripping cows like Piranha. I remember the article was about farmers asking to be allowed to shoot them.

I have one friend who has an animal sanctuary and rescued many. She has donkeys there and they are really friendly. One day I asked and she said they protect all the other animals and did after an AlPaca had baby if that is what they are called, some other people there saw the donkeys kick the snot out of the coyotes and they took the baby to a safe place before she got home I think in the barn. Who needs a guard dog when you can have a donkey.
    I never seem to have a donkey when I need one��

A long time ago I was working, welding up conveyor sections on overtime.

The shop guard dog who had been friends with me attacked while I was under the conveyor, grabbing my left arm just above the wrist.

It actually felt like my arm was in a press with teeth, then it began tugging and shaking and dragged my partially out from under the conveyor.

I remain impressed to this day how strong the dog was, and how focused it was on hurting me.

I killed it with a chipping hammer, however even through the welding gauntlet and leather sleeves I had puncture wounds and a severely sprained arm.

My friend who is a vet suggests kneeling on their neck or chest, apparently we can’t often hit a dog hard enough with our hand to make them stop attacking.

I love dogs, and we have a moose of a Bernese/Shepherd cross, good thing he’s the most gentle loving dog because he’s extremely powerful, I would hate for him to attack anyone…..Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Put some ammonia in a spray bottle. ANY brand will work ….no need to buy the deluxe stuff .
    Hadn't thought about Ammonia but yeah, that'd probably discourage 'em. I was thinking bear spray but you'd have to have it with you when you need it.

wholly crap Rod that is insane. Did you first try telling him to Sit?

I tried to take a donkey with me a few times, you need a convertible and then he refused to wear his seat belt.

You are the canadian clint eastwood.

and you just reminded me some 40 years ago or so I visited a musician from the music store I think he was playing with David Bowie at the time. He lived with someone else who had one of those pit bull type dogs with the long snout. Don Cherry had one. He told the dog there was a squirrel in my pocket. The dog grabbed my arm and would not let go but he was not hurting me. He was letting me know who the Alpha male was. I had a sweater my grandmother made for me on and he did put some tares in the stitching but it was fine. I think I had about 30 years on that sweater and it was always welcome in the cold shop.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-07-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Hi Warren, yes I used it’s name and gave it several commands, it was like it was some other unknown dog.

Kevin, the shop owner came immediately when I phoned him, took me to the ER, drove me home after and put my motorcycle in the shop for storage overnight which turned out to be a week before I could ride.

Funny thing was the dog and I would sit just outside the shop in the shade every day at lunch, we were good company.

It honestly was like something went wrong with him that evening

Kevin never had a guard dog after that…… Rod

I was kidding about the sit thing. James Bond Movie came to mind where during a possible lion attack he says sit and it does.

Thanks for more info that is a wild and scarey story. A switch snapped for sure. Then it becomes survival. I promise I will only say nice things about Hammer machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    If you live in Texas, a compact pistol, 9mm and up works pretty good. Had a friend out walking in his suburb with his 6 year old daughter get charged by a pitbull. Pitbull didn’t make it.

My policy is if it’s not on a leash, it’s feral and fair game.

Wow. Thank goodness he was prepared.

[QUOTE=Keegan Shields;3207733]If you live in Texas, a compact pistol, 9mm and up works pretty good. Had a friend out walking in his suburb with his 6 year old daughter get charged by a pitbull. Pitbull didn’t make it.

Last thought the Texas - Pitbull had was probably, “ Dang, the ONE time I forget to bring my Deringer ….So THAT’S why
    people were staring at me !”