Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Attack

Dog Attack

There are dogs in the world and sometimes they attack. That is not going to change. So here is my question. If I have no weapons and no objects within reach how can I best defend myself? Maybe the martial arts have something to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    There are dogs in the world and sometimes they attack. That is not going to change. So here is my question. If I have no weapons and no objects within reach how can I best defend myself? Maybe the martial arts have something to offer.
    Dogs can be choked out to unconsciousness. The thing about fighting an attacking dog though is that you have to go big quickly, and you may lose some flesh. They will likely clamp on an arm or leg, you have to be able to have the presence of mind to let them do that and launch your counter attack, rather than trying to pry them off of your limb. Fight dirty.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

As a teenager I worked for a company the delivered soda(pop) to peoples homes I was taught by an older member of staff that when the dog approached to put the cash bag in his mouth I found this approach very effective on many occasions
    So depending on the circumstances if you have an item of clothing example a coat I would fold the coat and present that to the dogs jaws

I was told, but never tired, to wrap an article of clothing around your off hand to minimize damage (assumes something IS going to get damaged). 'Feed' that hand to the dog. Dog will be instinctively reluctant to release that bite. Pull the dog up and away while grabbing a hind leg with your dominant hand. Use the hind leg for leverage to roll and to drop it to the ground, while driving your knee into their rib cage/heart. Should be done in 2-3 seconds at most.

Depends a lot on the size of the attacker, the strength of the attacked, athleticism, timing, and your willingness to kill the dog. And probably eleventy-seven other things that could influence the outcome.

Colonel Colt has a much better solution.
    Reading the faster replies, this is very much as Mr. Roehl suggests 'fighting dirty'. If you need incentive for such viciousness, watch a Jack Russel Terrier attack a rat, then scale that up to a 70-80 pound cousin.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 08-06-2022 at 7:48 AM. Reason: reading

I have been bitten twice while bicycling and had several near misses. My approach is if I am on my bike and a dog gets on the pavement and is close enough to kick, I kick it. In cold weather I wear work boots with steel toes and kick with them, in summer when wearing sandals I keep my toes up and try to deliver the blow with the heel, which is protected by the sole of the sandal. I always aim for the face/mouth and try to hit as hard as possible with the first blow. Some dogs are quick enough to dodge the kick, but the dodge gets them out of biting range for a moment and then there is time for another kick. I have trained a few dogs not to chase me over the years, if they were on a route I traveled often.

If. a dog latches on, like a pitbull, and will not let go shove garden hose into his mouth and drown him off.
    I have heard...If he is latched on hold his front legs to either side and stand up so his tail is hanging. His legs are not attached the same as a person and this will compress his rib cage. The vertical position will lower his blood pressure and cause him to pass out after a time.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I've encountered a number of dogs when running and cycling. When running, I stop and raise my arms, then yell as loud as I can. This will usually deter the dog and alert the owner. If the dog stops, slowly walk along your intended path. When cycling and a dog comes running out, I grab my water bottle, open the squirt top with my teeth. The I Invert the bottle and aim it at the dog. While aimed at the dog a good healthy squeeze will resemble a super soaker and generally deters the dog. If I ride a route with several troublesome dogs, I carry two water bottles. Very few come back for a second dose, but it is there if you need it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

thanks for the tip Bill, ill make sure to carry a garden hose around with me.

My "Stayed in a Holiday Inn" approach would be to try and surrender my left forearm as bait for the dog to lock on to. Then with my right hand go for the dogs throat and squeeze as much strength as can muster.

If I can't grab the throat, go for the dogs ears. I learned from the Eskimo's that a dogs ears and butt are the most sensitive and painful for a dog.

The Eskimo's train their Husky's by biting the ear, usually only needs one application before the dog gets the message.

I've used this method on several of my dogs to discipline and it seems to work.

In my bicycle touring days I was attacked several times. Sometimes times the attacks were bluffs, other times the dogs wanted some flesh. If you're on a bike, it's fairly easy to keep your bike between the dog and yourself. Keep walking with your bike wheels as a barrier until the dog gives up or owner reels it in. May not always be applicable and results may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I am still laughing!!!

Riding a bike or when walking a belt buckle has been my best defense. If you wrap the belt around tour hand several times and leave just a few inches of length with the buckle at the end and hit the dog on the top of their head towards the back they will generally drop almost immediately. Don't remember any dog that got past the belt buckle that was able to bite me, my problem usually was with the owners, they get pretty upset as you would expect. The local leash law has always protected me from being legally responsible for any damage to the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    It would be just my luck there wouldn't be a hydrant or spigot handy when needed.

It's probably going to depend a lot on whether the dog is just a nipper/biter trying to get your leg or ankle or if it's actually intent on serious harm. How much time you have to react is also a factor. Most suggestions that have been offered have merit and may be effective. Leash laws are common in incorporated areas but in rural areas almost nonexistent. At least in these parts. That doesn't mean the dogs owner isn't responsible for anything their dog might do though. As Jon says on a bike it can be an effective barrier unless it's a recumbent trike like mine. It would be a challenge to do this with but not impossible.

I had a friends german sheppard be friendly when close then last second remembered he was a guard dog and lunged at me. Thank god for chains. Reminds me of some past cartoon.

Sister and her husband at the cottage saw a bear. They were with my mom so figured they were safe as she could not run as fast. So rather than offer your left arm to a dog have a friend or elderly person to offer up.

And we cant forget this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui442IDw16o