The vanity in the guest bath of this "new to us" house (a year ago, of course) is falling apart and was never installed correctly, either. The countertop and fixtures are just fine. It's what's underneath that, um...bites. So in addition to some minor repairs and paint to "freshen the room up", a new vanity is required. The origin of the "Scrap" in the title to this thread can be summed up in this photo about when I went "shopping" in my temporary lumber and sheet goods storage on my property; a tent on a deck and the shed, respectively.

IMG_1726.jpg

A little more would be added to this as work progressed, but I think you catch my drift here: use up stuff that's already bought and taking up space so it doesn't have to be moved into the new shop building later in the year.

I do not do "detailed" plans for something like this, but I do establish the basic design and overall dimensions

IMG_1728.jpg

The carcass consists of four corner "posts" that are 40mm square. They were glued up from a bunch of poplar shorts and then milled to what turned out to be the final size. Originally, I planned for 45mm, but the wood decided it wanted to be a hair smaller. It had opinions... To avoid being totally boring, the bottom 125 mm would have a taper on the two inside faces...a quick and dirty jig got whacked together from yet some more scrap materials and the deed was done. The left rear remained square since it will never be seen.

IMG_1734.jpg

Various rebates were cut on the appropriate edges to provide glue surface for attaching the sides and back, but those were not cut until the material was chosen for each element. Why? Different thicknesses. Some of the panels are even stitched together smaller pieces of plywood, glued and pocket screwed together...nothing that would be visible and a good use for the material. (thankfully, all but one piece of the plywood was BB or equivalent which is nice to work with, there is one piece of melamine in there, too, to block out the left, inside)

For this build I used the hand-screw trick to hold the two side pieces vertical while I pieced together the back. It's such a simple thing, but does it much better than other ways that can be attempted.

IMG_1739.jpg

Glue, screws, brads, pins...whatever was appropriate for whatever I was doing got used.

IMG_1740.jpg

At the present time, the carcass is complete. The next step is to create the two drawers which need to clear the plumbing in the middle. The current, decrepit vanity is similarly designed in that respect. This version has more space on the bottom shelf for towels, etc., than existing. More on this project when I get to the drawers. Too hot in the temporary shop to deal with that now.

IMG_1750.jpg