Thread: Friday's Yard Sales..

Friday's Yard Sales..

Were a bit skimpy....however..
    Friday's Sales, pliers.JPG
    $1 for a "Master Craft" pair of pliers? Just needs a shot of 3in1 oil in the joint....since I can't seem to find out WHERE I placed my other one....

And a $5 Green Box..
    Friday's Sales, green box.JPG
    Inside?
    Friday's Sales, details 1.JPG
    Except..no manual to be found....

May have to do a bit of research, and find out HOW this jig works...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    $1 for a "Master Craft" pair of pliers? Just needs a shot of 3in1 oil in the joint....since I can't seem to find out WHERE I placed my other one....
    The biggest problem with those for me is when other people use the screw cutting feature. They always seem to put the screw in from the wrong side.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And the grinder attachment?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    And the grinder attachment?
    Not having a grinder means having no idea. Looks like it is to hold a tool at a set angle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Supposed to be able to sharpen twist drill bits with the jig.....apparently General sold the exact same jig....but claimed it was made in USA? Mine says Made in Taiwan.....

Blog Entries
    Supposed to be able to sharpen twist drill bits with the jig.....apparently General sold the exact same jig....but claimed it was made in USA? Mine says Made in Taiwan.....
    Depending on the bit's use, most of my twist drills for use on metal are sharpened in a Drill Doctor. Otherwise they are sharpened on stones or on my Veritas Sharpening System by eye. Most of my wood boring twist bits for use in an egg beater or brace are sharpened at an angle that is much steeper than what is used for boring in metal.

jtk

So, maybe this just might help someone that does use metal drilling bits?

Apparently..Craftsman also sold the same model, and so did General....

Have since downloaded a "manual" to study. Yes, I do have a 6" dual wheel (fine and coarse) grinder in the shop. And, my drill press will drill metal parts from time to time...

Will go and watch a video, later...on how to set this jig up.....was getting tired of sharpening bits by Hand & Eye at the grinder. Be nice to actually grind the flutes at the correct angles, everytime....

Blog Entries
    So, maybe this just might help someone that does use metal drilling bits?
    [edited]
    .....was getting tired of sharpening bits by Hand & Eye at the grinder. Be nice to actually grind the flutes at the correct angles, everytime....
    It might help. The Drill Doctor appeared to be a good answer for handling my standard twist bits since there isn't a grinder in my shop. At the time two were purchased. One was given to my dad and he seemed to be impressed by it. It has done a good sharpening my dull bits.

Often my bits that are not real dull get touched up on oilstones. This is faster than the minute or two it takes to set up the Drill Doctor or an attachment for a grinder that isn't there.

Otherwise for the more acute angles on some of my wood boring bits the Veritas sharpening system is used.

jtk

So..I guess this jig will help those that DO have a grinder in their shop.....and maybe even have to drill metal parts ( like hinges, and brackets)

Since my grinder has plain, FLAT tool rests....the jig might just be of some use...as there is no drill sharpening grooves on my grinder's tool rest. Older grinders might include such a feature in one of their tool rests.

$5 for a jig..vs..$$$ for a tool with a tail....hmmmm...

Blog Entries
    So..I guess this jig will help those that DO have a grinder in their shop.....and maybe even have to drill metal parts ( like hinges, and brackets)
    Some of the comments after this YouTube video > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3guY-fWIakM < seem to think otherwise.

Of course there is no knowing if the maker of the video properly followed the instructions.

This reviewer had a better outcome > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHce7A7mFo < though he was set up for grinding on the side of his wheel.

There seems to be a bunch of videos on this.

One of the specifications found for the General Tools Drill Bit Sharpener & Grinding Tool Attachment to sour my opinion on this > Fits 1/8 to 3/4 in. bits.

The Drill Doctor will grind slightly smaller bits.

My recollection is my "tool with a tail" cost me ~$30 when it was purchased a few decades ago. There now seems to be many different models for different needs. The entry level model looks to be currently on sale for $50 at Lowes.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-06-2022 at 2:56 PM.

Ok, have watch 2 videos about using this jig....then a quick check of where my 6" grinder calls home....there is not enough shelf on the left side (where the Fine wheel is) Means I need to add an extension to that shelf. Not a biggie...then drill for a carriage bolt to come up through the new shelf,,,and lock the jig's base into place. Then to use the jig, I'll need to remove to cover plate over the wheel. So...a Carriage Bolt, a washer, and a wing nut...Maybe..$2? If that...