Thread: Help my memory if you can. It’s a long shot.

Help my memory if you can. It’s a long shot.

So, this was decades ago (70’s 80’s? It all runs together) and happened at a college basketball game. Possibly Ivy League or other prestigious college. I saw video, not live, of the moment and the displayed courage impressed me. I’ve recently wondered who the young girl was and what life had in store for her. It was a protest. Probably about racial equality on campus. I’m no longer certain even if I ever knew. It had nothing to do with my impression of individual courage. She was young, a child. She was black. She was tiny. At halftime, I believe, she had walked onto the court totally alone to protest an injustice. She remained, stopping the game, refusing to leave despite efforts of dozens of officials and administrators towering over her. Not speaking, she simply stood, serene in her belief while an arena full of fans screamed and shouted god knows what. Brave. Eventually when it became very obvious that officials were not going to forcefully remove her, others began to join her on court. The numbers increased quickly and she was soon lost in a sea of chanting, fist shaking boisterous co-protesters. None with her courage. She impressed me, perhaps as a result of that contrast. One person. I’ve googled many phrases trying to trace it but no luck. Hoping someone recalls what the particular event might have been. Curious to learn more about this person. Thanks.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Is it this perhaps: https://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/08/n...t-rutgers.html

Found by Googling "young woman basketball court protest -chain -glue" (those last two because the first results were of a woman that apparently chained herself to the net, but it was a recent occurrence). The 5th search result was the link I provided above.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

A lot of stuff before the internet is not well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Is it this perhaps: https://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/08/n...t-rutgers.html

Found by Googling "young woman basketball court protest -chain -glue" (those last two because the first results were of a woman that apparently chained herself to the net, but it was a recent occurrence). The 5th search result was the link I provided above.
    undoubtedly that was it. My recollection was that the crowd didn’t “soon join in” but the lass remained alone for quite a while. Sadly, no one person identified. Thanks Steve
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I remember seeing that and being irritated by it. Didn’t see it as courage. She knew was not going to be harmed for what is sometimes
    called “passive resistance “. I’m guessing most of the crowd just figured it would be over soon and took ‘bathroom break’ ,then bought
    some snacks. This is a civilized society and intelligent people don’t attack grandstanders.

Lots of pre internet video recorded on VCR magnetic tape has been lost forever. Only some were digitally re-recorded but they still look pretty bad.